Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My oldest, 12yrs, pancreatic, KF, heart murmur, anemic, arthritic, apparently spent the night throwing up and pooping from one end of the house to the other. She's having a hard time walking and took a minor tumble down a few stairs early this morning (which woke me up). Her stomach is taught and her back is arched - not a good sign. I have to get her into the vet this morning.

As sick as she's been over the past few years, we've been fortunate that she has not had the classic symptoms of pancr and KF. She typically plays, goes on long walks, chases critters and loves life.

She's been following me around the house since 5am and having a lot of difficulty doing so. This is normally her way of saying, "I hurt, please make it better".

I'm hoping an injection and some sub-q fluids will pull her out of this, but I'm not sure where this morning's events are leading.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am so sorry .... I hate that! That is what Leeo did when he had his pancreatic neucrosis ... only he could not walk. :( I so hope she is going to be ok. I hope they can give her something for the pain. Pancreatic pain can be excruciating.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Abbylynn. She's been living with the pain for years, but not displaying any outward signs. She's staying at the vet for observation, sub-q, blood work, anti-inflammatory and nausea injections and an x-ray. I guess I forgot to mention, she wasn't using her back legs this morning either. I carried her to the car, she didn't peak out the windows once and then carried her into the vet's office. She didn't stand or sit up for the exam either; just laid there. So sad. This is so not her.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you. I hope she bounces back. I had always hoped that if/when she went, it would be mid-stride, chasing some crazy critter in the yard; not like this.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
She might be coming home tomorrow! She hasn't eaten and she's still wobbly, but she was quite happy when I visited this afternoon and stood up on her own. yay

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
She might be coming home tomorrow! She hasn't eaten and she's still wobbly, but she was quite happy when I visited this afternoon and stood up on her own. yay
I am definitely keep all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Re: Galaxy's having a bad day - Update

She's back home! I brought her home about 30 minutes ago.A little wobbly, but able to walk. They said she didn't eat much while she was there, but she did manage to have a little bit of chicken and rice when she got home and now she is sound asleep. She really looks like she's been through an ordeal. I'm hoping to see a little improvement now that she's home.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I am glad she is back home. It is less stressful at home. :) I will keep all of you in my prayers and send good thoughts your way! :D

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you both for the good thoughts. She's hanging in there. Eating a little, wobbly and tired. She may bounce back, but I don't think she will be the same as she was. This one really knocked her for a loop.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The results from Galaxy's blood tests indicated that her kidneys are functioning at about 30-40%, so, end stage kf. Her progress has not been steady. Yesterday she ate frequent, small meals. Last night after a very long nap, she had a great appetite, she was moving around very well and even navigating the stairs. She seemed to be a little more like her old self. Today she has not eaten at all. She's still moving around and drinking, but she seems tired again. idk...... Taking it day-by-day, I guess.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Awwwwe ..... Here if you need to talk. :) One day at a time and hope for the best is all anyone can do I suppose. I remember my Mother in her end stages of copd ... she was just tired of being tired ... and sick. Many years of disease really takes a toll. Still ... saying prayers and good thoughts coming your way. :)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you both for your continued thoughts and prayers. I'm sorry to hear abut your Mom Abbylynn. As you said, I think she's just worn out from fighting it all these years.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've had two dogs in the er with pancreatitis in the last four months. My first spent two days on iv's and still had not eaten when I took him home. I gave him some slippery elm bark gruel and within an hour or two, he was eating for me. I swear by this stuff and always have some on hand for my dogs and my rescues who stop eating or appear to have GI issues. It's pretty benign stuff and almost impossible to overdose a dog on it. It can interfere with absorption of some meds so if you decide to try it, make sure you give it Galaxy two hours before or after her meds. I've included a link below where you can learn more, including how to make soup/gruel and how much to give.

http://www.holvet.net/slippery_soup.html

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've had two dogs in the er with pancreatitis in the last four months. My first spent two days on iv's and still had not eaten when I took him home. I gave him some slippery elm bark gruel and within an hour or two, he was eating for me. I swear by this stuff and always have some on hand for my dogs and my rescues who stop eating or appear to have GI issues. It's pretty benign stuff and almost impossible to overdose a dog on it. It can interfere with absorption of some meds so if you decide to try it, make sure you give it Galaxy two hours before or after her meds. I've included a link below where you can learn more, including how to make soup/gruel and how much to give.

http://www.holvet.net/slippery_soup.html
Thank you for the information and link. I e-mailed the vet on the holvet site to see if there would be any issues with this tea and kidney failure. I'll let you know how it works out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts