Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for some background on Gadget refer to this forum:

http://www.dogforums.com/13-dog-health-questions/37979-gadget-has-generalized-demodectic.html

Anyway about two days ago Gadget has stopped eating. I rarely give him human food, and on the rare case's that I do, I always make sure that I put it into his food bowl so he knows thats where he eats.

He had always been a great eater, in fact ate a bit too fast. Typically after he was done eating he would keep licking his bowl to get that last bit's left.

As a treat I would mix in wet food with his dry about once every 1 or 2 weeks.

About 4 weeks ago, I switched him to EVO, and for the first 2 weeks I mixed his other food in with that and his eating habits stayed the same. The last two weeks he has also had the same eating habits with just EVO only on his bowl.

Two or three days ago he started acting really weird, mis-behaving a lot, eating pillows, not listening when I call him, and going to the bathroom indoors. This is also about the time that he stopped eating.

So my first line of defense was to try mixing in wet food, which at least got him to pay attention to the bowl. But he ended up just sucking off all of the wet food off of the dry, and spitting the dry food onto the floor. I then started to play the lift his bowl off of the ground whenever he wouldn't finish his food, and place it down again an hour later game. Still no reaction.

My next tactic was to use a different bowl, and place it in a different location in the off chance that he had a bad reaction at some point with the current bowl and eating location. Still no reaction.

As my last ditch effort today, I went to the Pet Feed store and bought his old food, and mixed it with wet food as well. This is resulting in the same behavior of just sucking all of the wet food off of the dry food and spiting it onto the floor.

At this point I have no idea what to do, other then just wait it out till he gets so hungry he will just eat. Also last night he was throwing up yellow liquid which I assume is due to his lack of eating.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? If I can't get him to eat today I am thinking about taking him to the vet incase he is sick.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I would take him to the vet. With everything that you listed(behaviour changes,etc), he may be sick.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Good luck :) make sure to post after to update!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update on the eating situation. So he has slowly started to eat again. I had to switch away from the EVO, and move back to his old food.

He still would not eat the dry food right away, so I slowly added less and less wet food into his mix. He would then only eat when I was eating, after first trying to bed for scraps from my food. So I started to pretend that I was putting some of my food into his bowl, then he would start eating.

After this event I realized that I need to keep him on a constant diet, and refrain from given him any treats of wet food, or any human food.

Also as I remember when I first rescued him that he was the same way and a very finicky eater. He had lost a little bit of weight during his none eating phase, and still isn't always eating when given his food.

I just need to be more persistent on a regular eating schedule, and must eat his food when given. Any additional food eating training is always welcome.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts