Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience with Gabapentin?

I noticed my nearly 16 year old Aussie limping on Tuesday. Sometimes she limps, but usually that is after a particularly active day (not very often) and the limping will subside after a night of rest. She currently takes Meloxicam at night, every night. Anyway, two days later she was still limping, so off to the vet for xrays this morning. Xrays showed some arthritis in one elbow and on the opposite side of her neck. Spine looked amazing for a dog her age (didn't do her back end today since her pain/limping was on the front end, although we may end up doing those soon).
The vet gave us about a weeks worth of Gabapentin to take along with the Meloxicam. I didn't even think to ask about side effects, but upon getting home I looked it up and one of the side effects is wobbliness. We had a nightmare of a time when we tried to put her on phenobarb (the "drunkenness", "wobbliness" hit her way to hard and she could not walk at all), so now I'm actually kind of nervous that this a potential side effect of this medication.

Does anyone have any experience with it? We only have a weeks worth to "give it a try" and if it helps I am all for it. Other than this recent limping she has been doing so good.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So as a very quick update, just as I had feared she is already very wobbly and stumbling. I called the vet and she said we could lower the dose from 300mg to 100mg. But to be honest, after our nightmare experience with the phenobarb I'm really hesitant to try the lower dose. I asked if there was anything with fewer side effects but she said no.

I know I have said this before earlier in the year when she had her seizure, but this is definitely the beginning of the end. I really don't know if she will make it another 2 weeks to her 16th birthday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
how is your dog doing?
My 8 year old did well on Gabapentin, he had a pinched nerve and no side affects. I consider lowering the dose and see. many dogs do well and even humans.
best to you and your dog.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
how is your dog doing?
My 8 year old did well on Gabapentin, he had a pinched nerve and no side affects. I consider lowering the dose and see. many dogs do well and even humans.
best to you and your dog.
We did try the lower dose on her and it brought her some relief with no side effects thank goodness. Unfortunately, relief seems pretty short lived and it doesn't seem like any of the medicines are making much of a difference. Of course her usual vet, the only one at the practice that I like, is not in the office today. There is another office open in town and they stay open late today and tomorrow. I've already called and will likely bring her there this evening for our final goodbyes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts