1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thank you! I hope your post becomes a sticky so that this information is not missed.

I have been feeding Evangers and I took my dog to the vet the other day after she threw up, was lethargic and not eating, had a real gurgly stomach and just seemed to stare into space like she was out of it. The vet said that he did not think that she needed blood work and just gave her something for nausea. She was still off of her food for a day or two and that started to eat her her dry kibble (Before Grain and Evo) again. By today she was back to her old self. Then tonight she got Evangers again (wet) whole chicken only for me to now read about this!

I also just read up quickly about the symptoms of Salmonella and everything that I listed above can be a symptom! I will be watching her very carefully!

·
Registered
374 Posts
I like Evanger's (probably more than my pets do LOL) and hope they resolve this. I've read their explanations and they seem to be reasonable and transparent. The FDA is operating like the big bureaucracy they are by rejecting the paperwork submitted by Evanger's outside expert in FDA procedures. At issue is Evanger's failure to provide documents certifying the degree of heat processing of every one of their canned products. The expert wrongly assumed that if the company submitted only one document to cover all the products it would suffice.

There is no suggestion that unhealthy ingredients are involved and there isn't any actual evidence that the canned products are not cooked at sufficiently high temperatures to prevent botulism. What is at issue is the documentation that would satisfy the FDA that all products are cooked thoroughly. The FDA is not suggesting that they have found that the products are not cooked thoroughly.

So this does seem amateurish on Evanger's part. Evanger's in its current form is literally a Mom and Pop business and no doubt they will be hiring a new process authority for the next go round. I think this is much more a small business challenge than a health issue or negligence on Evanger's part and I would not be afraid to feed the food. Which my dog ate just tonight.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I think my girls are ok (thank God) but after reading the complaints on consumer affairs.com...:eek:

My faith in the pet food industry=0.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I'm with philovance on this one; I read through both the FDA and Evanger's statements, and it looks like a pure paperwork issue. There is no indication that Evanger's products are unsafe, or any pets have been made sick by them. Evangers made a single process filing for their Vegetarian formula which they thought covered the entire product line (because the standards for the vegetarian formula are more rigorous than for their other products); the FDA requires separate filings for each product line. Having worked extensively with government regs of one sort or another, I would guess that both interpretations are probably valid, but, of course, the government's is the only one that matters.

Anyone who's ever had to work with a government agency knows that it's 1% about regulatory intent, and 99% CYA; after the pet food recalls from last year, this sounds an awful lot like a mid-level bureaucrat trying to prove to his superiors that he's on the ball. I don't use Evanger's, but I wouldn't be to worried if I did. This sounds like much ado about nothing.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hmmm ....

Quite honestly, my initial reaction was to also wonder whether the FDA was just using Evangers as a scapegoat?! I'm far from impressed by how the FDA operates in general. (IMHO, they're long overdue for a thorough independent investigation themselves ... :( !!!)

However, if you google around a bit, you can easily find a lot of worriesome reports on animals getting very ill on Evangers over the last few months - way before this story broke. (I'm not sure of Forum rules ... can I post another forum link here?).

Who knows? It's just very disappointing, because by all counts they did seem to be one of the best and safest dog food manufacturers around ...

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
YesBiscuit! made a post reminding people that a year ago Evangers was dinged by the FDA for exactly this same issue. So it's more like they still haven't properly fixed the problem they had back then.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Admittedly, I tend to be very cynical about government agencies. I used to work in tax; the IRS has a special hotline for tax preparers who have questions about tax positions, etc, but it comes with a disclaimer that basically says that any answers we get from the hotline may not actually be the official position of the IRS, and that the taxpayer is still liable for any penalties & interest which may accrue from an incorrect position even if it was previously approved via the hotline.

In other words, they are more than willing to help answer any questions, except they reserve the right to not only change the answers at a later date, but also penalize you for not knowing they were going to change their mind.

I've never dealt with the FDA, but Evanger's statement sounds very, very familiar to me.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, I-George! I can believe that. And the prejudice and corruption that goes on behind the scenes with the FDA and the huge drug cartels is quite another (off-topic) subject!

I'm very curious to see how the Evangers issue pans out.

I'm curious why something as PR damaging as a temp suspension wasn't enough to get mere "paperwork" sorted out within one whole long year??? I don't get it.

I'm curious about their initial denials about any FDA investigation ever taking place ... until it was published on the FDA's website. Very bad move for the PR train.

I'm curious about why so many stories of consumers being rudely treated and hung up on when they called Evangers.

And most of all, I'm curious about all those pets supposedly becoming very ill prior to this?

It really is too bad ... I used their canned line A LOT as a supplement and thought it was truly an excellent product, made at their own plant, Mom and Pop shop ... what more could you ask for??? :(

1 - 9 of 9 Posts