Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I currently have a 6month old collie who is absolutely perfect, but I can't help but to think that I'll want to add another dog into my household in the next 2-3 years. The breeds I'm eyeing are Leonbergers, Chinooks, and of course, Collies.

I guess my question is, when should I start communicating with breeders, especially for the rarer chinooks/leonbergers? There is a leo breeder who lives in my city and I would love to meet with her and talk with her and meet the breed.

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
Start talking to Chinook breeders now. It's not my breed but I've been loosely in contact with one Canadian breeder about the outcross program in the breed and I know there aren't a lot, and wait lists fill fast.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I know a Chinook breeder. In fact, she lives near me and works in my office. They are very rigid about who gets a dog and the breeding program is extremely tight.. and there are requirements (working titles being one). If you want that breed start now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I'll start looking into it more seriously! I'm leaning more towards chinooks at this point so it sounds like I have my work cut out for me!

·
Registered
6,657 Posts
Even for more common breeds, I start talking to breeders close to 2 years. I want to have an idea of what is out there and who has dogs that match what I want well before I put in an application, but I tend to over-prepare.

Full disclosure: I'm good friends with a Chinook breeder, but her dogs are lovely. I came pretty close to getting one, even, but the timing of the litter was terrible for me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts