Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,My pit/boxer mix,Reese is just a year old. I got him in Oct from the shelter.I have gone thru alot of different foods(Chicken Soup,Fromms,Eagle ,Natural Balance.) He would eat it in the begining for a couple of days and then stop eating. He won't eat kibble even if I mix it with wet.I have him on wellness now but he's not eating again. I know he's running me around how do I get him to eat? I heat it up,I add broth to it,I even add meat to it. Help!
Thanks ,Dale:confused:

·
Registered
24 Posts
If that keeps occuring I would see a vet, but until then keep trying to give your pup things he likes for mealtime that are still healthy, and hopefully he will start eating it on a regular basis! Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He eats but he doesn't want whatever I give him after a few times,He'll eat the cats food,he'll scarf up anything he can get ahold of. It's hard to believe a pound puppy would be so fussy after what he was fed in the shelter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is really weird- is he under weight? I don't know much about dogs but I think that if this keeps up you should definetly see a vet. How often do you feed him? What does he really seem to like? I hope that you can get him to eat the same foods stedily- it will help him and you cost wise.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Doesn't sound like it's a medical problem to me. Just sounds like your dog has you trained! LOL!

what worked with us when Orchid attempted to get picky, was when we put down her food twice a day for twenty minutes at a time.

if she didn't eat, she didn't eat. Eventually, they will get hungry enough, and learn to eat their food when it is available.

I know it sounds tough, but otherwise you will be catering to your dog's wants forever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
There's this stuff called Nurti-Stat, it's a high calorie food supplement when dogs aren't eating. It's OTC but I would call the shelter and ask what they fed and if it was eaten, if it was try hand feeding her like a treat and after he eats a few pieces walk him to the bowl and put a few in at a time. It could also be the bowl, my male Chihuahua won't eat from metal unless its outside and water only. Keep in mind the Nurti-Stat is like 2 soda's and 3 snikers to a human so if he's under 20 lbs only squeze apx. 1/2" twice a day when he's not eating at all. you can also barely cover some pieces when hand feeding and ween him off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yes- I agree with you to have the food out for like 20 minutes every mealtime. I was thinking about this, and I realize that I overreacted. All you need to do is have the food out, and he can be as picky as he wants, but when he is hungry I think his stomach will take over and he will realize that his food isn't that bad. :) Thank you, and sorry for my overreaction!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I agree with Snowshoe (who may have answered my very similar SOS when it happened with my puppy). I, too, tried several different foods close to each other. She got picky and seemed to be waiting for me to offer something better. Put the same food down every time. I swear she hardly ate much for three whole days, but she eventually ate what was in the bowl.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you for the replies. Snowshoe I think you hit the nail on the head! He's not sick or underweight(app 60lbs) I think I've spoiled him and he knows how to push my buttons. He's a good dog and he's come a long way in a short period of time. He's a joy to have around and once we get this feeding thing corrected , he will be awesome.
thank you again,Dale:)

·
Registered
591 Posts
Please be sure he doesn't keep eating the cat's food (put the food on a table/shelf for the cats). Cat food has too high of protein in it for dogs - and it will put on weight very fast.

Sounds like you keep changing the food too much, or he's eating more people food. I would try the food down at every meal. And do NOT give him anyting extra like people food or canned dog food or the cat food. He won't starve to death - when he realizes that's the only thing he's got a choice of, he will eat it.

When we brought in our new cat, the resident cat decided to be picky about eating - she didn't eat for 4 days, now she's eating cause I was not gonna play her "poor me" game. :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
He's eating! Thank you all! I've gone back and reread other posts and adapted some things but the important thing is he's eating his dry.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Good. NEVER put cat food where a dog can get it, please. It is way to rich for their needs and can cause organ failure. Just as dog food can do the same to a cat.

Please don't put any treats in his food to make him eat, that will just cause obesity. Just stick to one food and set feeding times. Once in the morning and once at night. He'll get hungry enough to keep eating.

There's a dog that comes to my work who will stop eating for a week then start up again. There's nothing wrong with him, it's just what he's done since he was a puppy.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have the same problem with Chance my german shepherd. The vet has siggested i try adding Iams gravy. It comes in a liqid syrup to pour over the food. It is basically liquid food. I am going to try it. Good luck.

To give more information on Chance. He is a pure bred German Shepherd and was neutered early wich makes him unusually large and lean. According to the vet he is apprxamately 15 lbs undeweight. You can see his ribs, hips and spine. I feed him 3 cups in the morning and at night and have to remove it if he does not eat or my American Eskimo who is over weight eats it. I have tried to get him to eat 4 cups when possible. I have tried adding gratted cheese,cat food, canned dog food. Most options only work for a coupl days as cheese is not good for the long haul and neither is cat food. The Canned dog food upsets his stomoch and made him sick. He picks his dry food and won't eat any thing mixed in now. He loves buiscuits but I can't keep him fat on buiscuits. He is easily distracted from his food. He would rather play than eat. Eaven if the other dog steals it. He is the dominant dog and takes care of Barkley who is deaf. I hope this helps. Frazzled mom.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts