Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out if I should get a new sofa or not.

I just refinished my living room floors and while moving around my sofa I became aware of how worn it is and that it never has fit well in the room (purchased for the old apparent, actually the armchair is the wort fit). However, My dog Indy spends a lot of time on the sofa and I don't see that changing. Not clear if new furniture is a good idea...

The sofa was previously on the wall straight ahead in the photo. In the photo it's up against a cast iron radiator and will impead the heating of the room. As show below Indy loves watching the view out the side window but doesn't seem as enthusiastic about the front windows in the new position. The new position works better for me but the sofa needs good ground clearance to allow air flow to the radiator. (I also like the leggy mid century style as shown by my vintage dresser/entertainment center)
The space is a bit too small for sofa and loveseat/chair. I'm looking for a sectional that will wrap around the corner so Indy gets his view and I get good tv watching. I haven't found anything in local furniture stores that ticks all the boxes...

1) Is buying new furniture just money down the drain when you have a dog?
2) is leather really best with dogs? (I have been warned bonded leather is worse than fabric with pets)
3) is it insane to pick furniture base on my dogs view out the window?
4) anyone had luck buying online sight unseen (more importantly no butt test)?

The in store leaders
Macys: https://m.macys.com/shop/product/marsilla-leather-sofa-created-for-macys?ID=5131971&CategoryID=29391
Raymore: https://www.raymourflanigan.com/berkley-leather-sofa-202219627.aspx
Online:
http://a.co/6494lop

Side note I'm pretty set on getting a recliner but experience tells me Indy will not get on a recliner.https://m.macys.com/shop/product/elora-push-back-recliner?ID=2991893&CategoryID=29391

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Floors look great. Indy looks comfy. What's the problem??

Most furniture legs unscrew and MCM stilettos are easily found. I bought some on Etsy - custom length and finish. Love being able to get a broom under to capture those dust puppies. Bucky will go under to fetch his toy too, love that! Do check Indy's head size to be sure he cannot get stuck!

Agree, no bonded. I tossed a couple of ottomans because of peeling corners. Really nasty and cheap once that starts up. My sister's yorkie scratched a lovely nest for herself on a good quality leather sofa. Probably could have been repaired but something to consider.

I use slipcovers. Toss in the wash and most dog mess is gone.

Recliners with pop out foot rests scare me too. Mine is a Dux by Folke Ohlsson. Tilts and locks with a separate tip up ottoman. Only place I could sleep when my knees were hurting years ago. Currently dogs are on my down blankie, blankie's on top of me and the Dux is holding us all up. They are very wary of the ottoman top slamming down though. Patent granted in 1961 so mine is older than that. Found on Craig's List in great shape and currently needs upholstery real bad after a decade or so of heavy use.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had a fake leather couch for 6 years with my mini poodle and it had zero wear on it.
I now have a fabric couch I've had for 2.5 years with a mini poo, pom, and standard poo. I was worried about getting fabric with dogs, but I realyl liked the look of the couch and how it fit in with my decor, but I think it still looks great.
My mom has reclining furniture and my mini poo LOVES recliners. He loves lying on the recliner by your feet. You just have to be aware when putting the foot rest down that no dogs are underneath.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
I don't think it's dumb at all to consider your dog's preferences in your furniture purchase. I also think the kind of couch that will work best depends a lot on your dogs. If you have dogs that like to dig, cloth might be better. But if you have dogs that play in the mud a lot, leather might be easier to keep clean since you can just wipe it down.

We have both bonded leather/vinyl and fabric couches. The bonded leather couches are about 10 years old, they've put up with dogs - including rough play - for the last 2 or so and have no deteriorated notably compared to their condition before the dogs had them. The thing I like about leather is that the dog hair doesn't stick, and it's easy to clean. Wipe down with a damp cloth every so often.

As for the fabric couches - one (from the early 90s) has a bed-sheet-slip-cover that gets thrown in the wash. The other is a 5-year-old Ikea Karlstad sofa and has fully removable and washable upholstery - the whole thing, not just the cushions - which was a lifesaver when one of our fosters came home (unnoticed) with fleas that she had picked up in shelter. We just stripped the whole cover off and threw everything in the washer and dryer, no worrying about whether we vacuumed it well enough.

Sorry if I'm not any help, haha.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tips (keep them coming)

I hadn't considered swapping legs, it's an interesting idea but I don't like my legs dangling so raising a sofa may not be ideal.
Neither did I think of Indys head getting stuck which is in the realm of possibility...

I already keep throws and blankets on the sofa. (there's a great fuzzy/Sherpa queen size blanket at Costco right now for $15!). Dear lord, if he had rubbed on the leather after getting skunked in the spring.

This is much my fault. I bought the current sofa at bob's discount furniture and then heard a ton of stories about bobs furniture litterally collapsing under normal use. Well 12 years of abuse and This sofa is still going strong. Probably would still look nice if I had cared for the leather properly... it's cat scratched, faded stained and cracking now

·
Registered
392 Posts
I will agree the fake leather couches hold up amazingly. We have a pair we bought lightly used and I LOVE them with Quill around. They don't show any wear, and they are easy to clean hair and messes off of -- I just wipe them down! Quill when he gets riled up will occasionally, and I fully don't support it but it happens before you even know it, will launch himself off them or jump over the backs, but you wouldn't know based on the condition. The couches are going on 4 years with us (two with Quill) and still look new. And we don't do anything special with them to keep them looking that way, which is awesome. I can't remember the material ours is made from, but I could look. They are the comfiest couches I've ever sat on!

So I think if you buy a couch you know will hold up, it isn't money down the drain. And I'd likely buy for my dog too if he adored a window because Quill runs my life. But, if you can't find a wrap around couch and want to give him a spot to look out the window, maybe some kind of bench or something? It can provide additional seating, dogs like them, and they can look really nice. My mom has something similar to this, but a cheaper version that is nice around Christmas when we are all home, but otherwise is used 99% of the time by her dogs.

Not sure price limits, but it kind of seems like you might be able to get a couch + a bench for the same price as a wrap around. Just an idea!

·
Registered
11,294 Posts
I see nothing wrong with buying furniture with the dog in mind. I actually brought Chester with me when I bought my sofa! Yes, with full permission of the store owner and as his suggestion. I shopped at a furniture warehouse place and Chester was invited in to see how comfortable it was to climb up on the couch and if the depth was enough to curl up.

My bonded leather sofa has held up OK. Not like real leather, the cushions have cracked and peeled some so I put washable covers on them. But, its been easy to clean and the foam/stuffing has been durable and at around $400, its been more than cost effective. I had microfiber before and hated it with dogs.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a note of clarification
Wikipedia
Bonded leather, also called reconstituted leather or blended leather, is a term used for a manufactured upholstery material which contains animal hide. It is made as a layered structure of a fiber or paper backer, a pulp made from shredded leather, and a polyurethane coating which is embossed with a leather-like texture. Related products, bicast leather or coated leather, are made by splitting, shaving, or grinding leather to reduce its thickness, and then laminating it.
Good old Naugahyde and vinyls can be very durable but are less common. Manufactures seem to like bonded leather because they can be more sly about calling it "leather" and letting people believe it's real leather. it does contain real leather (eye roll)

The manufacture of the sectional I linked to on amazon (modway) actually told me not to get their bonded leather. They didn't exactly brag about the durability of their cloth either but recommended it over bonded leather.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
We have both, and the dog lays on all of them! The upstairs fabric couch has pretty much zero wear from the dog. It's in a dark navy blue color, so not much really shows up on it. Fabric doesn't really scratch, and it seems most upholstery fabric can withstand a dog's claws as long as they're trimmed, I think. Downstairs we have a leather-like sofa. It's not bonded leather, nor is it real leather, but I can't remember what its called. It does get scratched, unfortunately, but I stopped caring. You can repair it, I'm just too lazy.

·
Registered
6,658 Posts
Just a note of clarification
Wikipedia

Good old Naugahyde and vinyls can be very durable but are less common. Manufactures seem to like bonded leather because they can be more sly about calling it "leather" and letting people believe it's real leather. it does contain real leather (eye roll)

The manufacture of the sectional I linked to on amazon (modway) actually told me not to get their bonded leather. They didn't exactly brag about the durability of their cloth either but recommended it over bonded leather.
TO also clarify - the couch that I mentioned has both bonded leather (cushion covers) AND vinyl (arms and back). :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts