Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone recommend this or tried this? http://www.1800petmeds.com/FURminator+deShedding+Tool-prod10892.html
I was told by someone that it works wonders but I have a comb for my dog and the hair just keeps coming and coming and coming and never stops. I have thought about the pills that are SUPPOSE to be 100% natural and just vitamins that stop shedding BUT I don't like the idea of medicating her for something that isnt really harmful (Unlike heartworms). I mean dogs are suppose to shed in the summer right? Are the pills good for them or do they cause an unnatural result? Either way, i like the idea of getting the comb instead if it works.

EDIT: This is a funny video and looks alot like my dog and same kinda hair. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBtbVlUjeMo&NR=1&feature=fvwp

BTW Last time I combed her I got enough hair off to fill a pillow and she maybe weighs 45lbs. Even after pulling all that hair out she still shed like crazy later that day. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I have a furminator and if you're expecting it to stop your dog from shedding, keep looking. Your comment about being able to comb and comb and comb will apply to this as well. When I first bought mine I literally sat for 20 mins. combing Toby and finally quit out of boredom (though the mess it left gave me something to do). It gets a ton of hair out and helps with shedding for a few days, after that he needs another brush or we're back to hair all over the house.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a furminator and if you're expecting it to stop your dog from shedding, keep looking. Your comment about being able to comb and comb and comb will apply to this as well. When I first bought mine I literally sat for 20 mins. combing Toby and finally quit out of boredom (though the mess it left gave me something to do). It gets a ton of hair out and helps with shedding for a few days, after that he needs another brush or we're back to hair all over the house.
That is quite disappointing. I was really hoping for a longer solution than a few days. Any suggestion?

·
Registered
83 Posts
My friend is very satisfied about the Furminator effect on his cat. If you can find someone who will lend it to you for an hour, you can test it out. And if you do get the hair out, you can make a pillow like someone above suggested!

·
Registered
750 Posts
You can't stop shedding..
But combing your dog daily with a furminator will reduce ALOT the amount of hair your dog sheds.

I don't see why you wouldn't go through the trouble of combing a shedding dog daily?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The furminator does not work well on all coat types. It uses tiny teeth to pull out undercoat. What kind of dog do you have? What kind of coat?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a furminator and use it on both my chihuahuas (one has very short hair and the other medium to short). Of all things I have tried, I have to say that this removes the largest amount of hair on both but I would probably have to brush them everyday (or at least every other day) to notice any real difference...and I'm too lazy to do that... :eek:

·
Registered
146 Posts
We also have one for the 3 rotties and I love it. It does help for a few days and it helps their coats look better. I agree you can't stop shedding all together, it's part of having a dog. I use this thing about twice a week and it helps.

·
Registered
252 Posts
We used it on our lab....who had a very thick coat....it worked well on her. It seemed to get out alot of the loose undercoat. She shed alllll year round and my husband brushed her just about daily. I think because he and Sadie found it relaxing!

We are not using for our current dog....a schnoodle....different coat. We just use a regular brush on her.

·
Registered
94 Posts
It took me some practice to use the furminator well, but now that I understand how to use it I love it. We have also found that brushing Willie well before giving him a bath means a lot less hair in the tub, and an esier time washing him.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You can't stop shedding..
But combing your dog daily with a furminator will reduce ALOT the amount of hair your dog sheds.

I don't see why you wouldn't go through the trouble of combing a shedding dog daily?
I do comb her hair DAILY with a normal comb and it just doesnt do ANYTHING for her shedding. Thats why I was considering the Furminator because if I combed her every day or at least every other day then I woudl HOPE it would reduce the shedding.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
The furminator does not work well on all coat types. It uses tiny teeth to pull out undercoat.
I've never been able to understand how the Furminator, which has such short little teeth, can reach in and get the undercoat... The only way I can get my dogs' undercoat out is to use a rake. I sometimes think the Furminator just kind of "shaves" the topcoat like a blade with a longer coated dog. Maybe it works on those with a thin or very short coat, but I wouldn't use it on any other kind of coat.

To the OP, once you get your dog's undercoat under control, just comb or brush her every day - just a quick job - and that will help control it.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I do comb her hair DAILY with a normal comb and it just doesnt do ANYTHING for her shedding. Thats why I was considering the Furminator because if I combed her every day or at least every other day then I woudl HOPE it would reduce the shedding.
You would buy the furminator, but you want to STOP the shedding at least for some days.
That's biologicaly impossible,it's like telling your body to stop transpirating, not going to happen.

Even with the most sophisticated hair remover comb, the label or instructions on it will say the same thing over and over ''Comb your dog at least 3 to 5 times a week to help reduce the amount of shedding''

Think about it.. with a normal comb, you are just moving hair around,and when coat blowing comes, the dog will shed recently dead hair, and most likely hair that has been tangled up since it's birth (exagerated a little:p)

With a furminator, done daily, you will remove all loose and tangled up hair from your dog, and when when shedding comes, the dog will only shed hair that needs to be replaced instead of ALL the hair deposited in the dogs body.

So think about it.. a furminator plus constant brushing/grooming, gives you less work to do when shedding starts.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I would like to give my little review of the product. I actually DID NOT buy the furminator because they had the FURBUSTER sitting right there beside it and I honestly could not tell the difference and it was $30 cheaper so I went with that instead. I have to tell you it worked wonders on my dog Roxi. It took enough hair off that doge to fill a pillowcase and she is a naturally short haired dog. It did not stop the shedding 100% but it did help quite a bit.

·
Registered
662 Posts
It is completely natural for your dog to shed. Buying pills to stop shedding is just ripping you off. Buying a deshedding tool will only decrease the amount of hair you find around your house if you use it regularly. It will not stop your dog from shedding.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I didn't particularly like the furminator. It did appear to remove a lot of hair however, it also seemed to have shortened my husky's hair. I use a double rake for undercoat removal now and brush with a rubber base for weekly brushing.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hmm well it really seemed to help with my dog. She still sheds some but only a fraction of what she use to. I find that I still have to brush her every 2 days or so to keep her from shedding all over the house. I am not trying to completely stop her from shedding, simply reduce it or control its location. If I can shed alot of her coat outside with the furbuster then I am a happy guy.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts