Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a german shepherd/ akita mix and she has been having this problem with her skin. She scratching alot, and when she does she scratches little patches of fur off from scratching so much. Her skin has little pink and purple spots on it. I would really like to know what's wrong with her. I am worried. Can someone please help!!! I already called around to some vets but all the vets around here said they really didn't know, that they would have to see her but I can't afford a vet bill right now.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
How old is she and how long has she been itchy like that?

She may have a food allergy. . .what do you feed her? Does she have fleas? (If she's really allergic to fleas even one bite can cause a huge reaction). Does she seem to have dry flaky skin?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is she and how long has she been itchy like that?

She may have a food allergy. . .what do you feed her? Does she have fleas? (If she's really allergic to fleas even one bite can cause a huge reaction). Does she seem to have dry flaky skin?

She is almost 2 years old. And she's been doing this for 2 months next week. I feed her gravy train now, I was feeding her some off brand stuff because that's all I could afford but when I got paid I bought her a bag of gravy train. And she doesn't have any fleas. She does flake when she starts scratching. I keep brushing her twice a day to keep all of her loose hair off of her so she isn't so itchy. And one of the vets told me to use oatmeal shampoo on her for her skin and I did but it didn't seem to help. I even bought this oil stuff from pet smart for itchy skin and it worked for about 30 minutes. Do you have any idea of what it could be?

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
Gravy Train is very poor quality food (not any better than store brand). Read the ingredient label--you should look for a food that has meat as the first ingredient, no corn, wheat, or soy, no artificial colors or flavors, and no added sugar. You won't find that kind of food at a grocery store, a feed store is your best bet (Tractor Supply Co is great). If price is an issue, Diamond Naturals is decent and not too expensive, or Kirkland Premium if you have a CostCo membership. Golden Retrievers are very prone to food allergies, so that's my guess about what's wrong with her. Try a better food and wait a month or so, if it doesn't clear up it might be something else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!!! I really appreciate your advice. I'll try it and see. I want to make her better. The poor baby is in misery and I can tell. She cries and whines when she scratches herself. She's making her skin raw. Is there any kind of lotion or treatment I can put on her skin to help her heal faster? And will her hair grow back where she has little bald spots from scratching because it doesn't seem like it is growing back.

·
Registered
20,766 Posts
If you can get some Microtek shampoo (I found it on Amazon, but probably they have it at pet stores and feed stores, too), that would really help the itching. If she's really miserable, she'll need steroids or antihistamines from the vet. . .no way around it. Fish oil can help with dry skin but if this is an allergy issue it probably won't help much.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts