Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My APBT Vader LOVES to eat shoes. We found this out really quickly after we adopted him. So we set out to train him. He learns things pretty well like sit down and stay. but i would probably say he is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

So I made a huge mistake training him. every time I got him to give me the shoe back I would praise him. So after a couple days of this. My husband and I are watching a movie and he brings us a shoe. and another and another and another. By the end of the movie he had found every shoe in the house and piled them up next to me and he was so proud of himself. So now even though he doesn't eat the shoes anymore he finds great joy in finding them and giving people stinky smelly shoes whenever he gets a chance.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's a really good idea I never thought of using his annoying habit for good.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
That is a really cute story! Lol! I agree with Gally ... great tool for training to put things away.:)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
That's funny. I'd say he's smarter than you think. After all, if he had followed your intent, he wouldn't be getting nearly so many treats.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He probably is smarter then I think =-p he just has the attention span of a gold fish. I think that is common with the breed. he is so happy and excited ALL the time its hard to keep him focused.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He would totally eat the newspaper ^_^ we joke about him being the dog from the movie the "sandlot" ( not the breed obviously ) cause we have a huge wood privacy fence and he seems so big and loud and when the kids lose stuff over the fence he happily tears the new toys to pieces lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts