Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure most of you know that shelters tend to just make wild guesses when it comes to breed. (At least the ones I have experienced.) Have you ever seen any that are so off that it's just comical?

I went in practically blind to meet Gilligan. Just a small grainy picture of his face. I was told that I was coming to see an eight month old English Shepherd. Well...lets just say that we're still waiting for that growth spurt!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
I no longer have the picture but I once saw a dog listed as a lab x staffy. The dog was a Corgie...

·
Registered
313 Posts
The shelter that I used to volunteer at used to do this all the time. Somehow that little rural rundown shelter in the middle of Nowhere USA was always full of rare/hard to find breed mixes. They're now under new management and no longer have a Petfinder page so I can't show you examples. I think they're doing better now that they're under new management. The Lab mixes actually look like Lab mixes. And they have the normal, expected, common for that area breeds and mixes listed. Some of them I think aren't 'right' but they're pretty good guesses, not off-the-wall ones anymore. :)

edit: I just remembered a funny one I saw a couple weeks ago, it was on Petfinder..I'll see if I can find it again.

·
Super Moderator
11,548 Posts
I saw what was almost certainly a purebred Doberman listed as "mix." They were probably fooled by the natural ears.

And I recently saw an obvious brindle Plott listed as a "mix." If his appearance didn't give him away, his voice should have.

These were both at the same shelter, so I guess they are avoiding commitment.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I wasn't able to find the one I thought was funny, which is good, I guess it means he was adopted! :D

But...if you go to Petfinder, put in the location as 65536 search for Afghan Hound....you'll either laugh or head-desk....

·
Registered
710 Posts
I saw what was almost certainly a purebred Doberman listed as "mix." They were probably fooled by the natural ears.

And I recently saw an obvious brindle Plott listed as a "mix." If his appearance didn't give him away, his voice should have.

These were both at the same shelter, so I guess they are avoiding commitment.
I'm thinking so, too. Someone once shared that a shelter will tack "mix" on the end, even when a dog looks to be purebred, because they have no papers or surrendering owner's say-so (in the case of a stray) to 'prove' that it is indeed a purebred. My gal was labeled as a Lab-mix but could very well be a pet-bred or poorly-bred pure Lab (my vet believes her to be).

·
Registered
935 Posts
Most likely the most common one that makes me just want to beat my head on a wall is all the people who byb some bully breed with a mastiff and then list it as Bullmastiff puppies for sale.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Years ago I worked at my county animal control. A guy came in to relinquish his spaniel mix, adolescent dog because all the thing would do is bite his family when it was out of its crate. He fills out the paperwork and the whole time is talking about what a shame it is to have to give up this dog because it's such a unique looking spaniel. Finishes up his paper work then we instruct him to bring the dog (he had it in his car) around back to the kennel. Less than five minutes later up comes the kennel manager to show us the spaniel mix...a pure bred ACD. No wonder why it was biting his family. Needless to say the dog was in the shelter about 2 hours before a farmer came and adopted it.

·
Registered
17,906 Posts
For pure FUNNY?

Pug.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I got asked if Hank was a german shepherd mix a few days ago.

·
Registered
12,194 Posts
Watson gets beagle all the time.

He's also got yorkie once. LOL

·
Super Moderator
7,306 Posts
Just saw this one listed at one of our local rescues. Given how incredibly rare Argentine Dogos are around here, I HIGHLY doubt that this pup is a Dogo mix, LOL.
https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/32907125/

Also, this pup looks NOTHING like a Collie/Bernese Mountain Dog mix, lol. Aside from the general body shape just not looking at all like either breed, I don't see how two long haired breeds could produce a short haired dog, lol.

https://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/32077531/

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
When I worked in a shelter they labelle most the labradoodle types as otterhounds. They had this poster of drawings of dog breeds and they just picked one it looked like.

It is kind of a sticky situation in some cases because shelter software and pet finder usually force you to pick a breed. You can't just call a dog a 'mix'. And a lot of dogs don't have primary breeds.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I get a lot of "border collie" comments with Lincoln, and then, before I can get a word in edgewise, I get lectured on why I am such a terrible person for "hacking his tail off". First of all, I did not, the breeder did, second HE IS NOT A BORDER COLLIE!!!!!!! :frusty:

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I made the mistake of taking a walk with Sterling with a Bernese Mountain dog. Everyone thought he was a Berner pup, and try to explain to people who can SEE how similar the colours are RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR EYES with two real life examples, that he is in fact an Aussie pup. Tail-docked be da**ed!

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I made the mistake of taking a walk with Sterling with a Bernese Mountain dog. Everyone thought he was a Berner pup, and try to explain to people who can SEE how similar the colours are RIGHT IN FRONT OF THEIR EYES with two real life examples, that he is in fact an Aussie pup. Tail-docked be da**ed!
yeah, we got berner, too. another lady asked if Lincoln was something (mom cant remember) when I was using the restroom one time, and I wish she could remember what they guessed he was, because even she went "WTF" because he didnt even look like what they guessed.

Now people think he is a small aussie haha, they are like "he is awfully small!" and I am like "because he isnt an aussie, either, he is a MAS, then I have to endure "well, arent they the same thing?" LOL. Now I know what sheltie owners must feel like when their dogs are mistaken for "miniature collies" haha.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Now people think he is a small aussie haha, they are like "he is awfully small!" and I am like "because he isnt an aussie, either, he is a MAS, then I have to endure "well, arent they the same thing?" LOL. Now I know what sheltie owners must feel like when their dogs are mistaken for "miniature collies" haha.
Bahahahaha too funny

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Sans is a, "nice lab!" which always makes me stop and look at them like, "What..."

She was labeled as a Purebred Bernese Mountain dog at the rescue I got her from and I asked if they were sure when I saw her, because I sure wasn't. She had the correct colouring but, her body proportions and weight were off. She wasn't solid either, she was a light, fine boned big puppy (they probably got her age wrong so she was bigger).

They said, "Bernese Mountain dog I'm 100% positive! We have her mom, Kismet, in foster care as well and she's definitely a Berner."

Here's the great Berner Mother that was definitely 100% Bernese Mountain Dog.
*I found her picture on their site like 6 months after I got Sansa, looks exactly like Sans with different colouring*

1 - 20 of 75 Posts