Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My partner and I brought home a Lhasa Apso cross bred with an Italian Greyhound puppy who is 11 weeks old. The breeder hadn't crate trained, house trained - well basically didn't train her at all. In the 3 days that we've had her I've crate trained her, she sits, comes and her housebreaking is going pretty well. The problem i'm having is that she isn't vaccinated yet (that's happening next week) and though she's small she has lots of energy. Before we got her we bought her toys, squeeky toys, balls and a stuffed toy none of which she'll play with. We have 5 cats (she's integrated really well with them) and much prefers their toys i.e stuffed mouse on a elasticated string, while i'm pleased she has a toy she likes I'm not sure whether it's really good for her. When I play with her she doesn't growl, object when I take the toy off of her nothing like that but i'm not sure she's getting the best out of playtime because all I seem to be doing is moving the toy back and forth for her to chase.
What play activities/toys would you recommend for a puppy who is very small? At most she'll grow to about 10/11 inches.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
That's the only game my dog really likes, too. With dogs, you call that a flirt pole, and there's nothing wrong with a dog preferring that as a game/toy. It's not surprising that your dog likes the flirt pole, because he's part greyhound. Sighthounds were created to chase moving objects.

When he gets older, you should look into lure coursing. It sounds like he'd really enjoy that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply, I did take into consideration the fact that she is part greyhound. I suppose I was second guessing myself because I want her to get the most out of her training and playtime. As well I didn't want her to get possesive of the cat toy when it originally belonged to my 5 cats, luckily she is very good at 'dropping' her toys when I tell her to and so far has shown little possesive tendencies other than taking the toys to her crate.

What does lure coursing entail? I've not heard about it before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts