Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sorry if there are 80 threads on this, I went through 10 pages of search and didn't find any!

I'm trying to figure out some new commands to teach my 14 week old dachshund mix pup. So far, he knows sit, down, touch, paw, and turn-around, and is learning roll over but has some trouble because he doesn't roll all that effectively with his stubby legs. Beg doesn't really work either because of the stubby legs and longer body, he can't really stand on his back legs (just sort of bounce). Speak is out because he only barks when he's super upset ("Be in the crate in the car?! WHY HAPPENING?!?") or super excited ("HOLY COW! That weasel ball JUST KEEPS GOING!"), so catching barks would be "ruff" (heh couldn't resist). Come is tough to do alone because he's my shadow so I don't think I could get far enough away from him to have him come back, though we do work on this when my husband is home and we can alternate. We're sort of working on Stay. He also rings a bell when he needs (wants?) to go out.

We start puppy classes on 4/3 (more for socialization than basic commands), but he really likes doing commands and is very focused and motivated when we do them, and learns a new one in about two days I'm just sort of stumped as to what would be good to teach him next.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Paw Left
Paw Right
Turn Right
Turn Left
Fetch
Fetch a Named Object
Go to a person
Find a named person

And then all of his behaviors using hand signals

For tricks - read what KBLover has taught Wally

·
Registered
3,343 Posts
Come is tough to do alone because he's my shadow so I don't think I could get far enough away from him to have him come back, (.....)
You could do a 'one-person restrained recall'.

Attach a plain (no loop handle) 25' check lead to collar. Set dog up just in front of smooth clothesline pole or similar. Hold check lead and drape it 180 degrees around pole behind dog, then quickly step back about 20' away from dog. Entice with toy if neccessary, then call dog, then let go of check lead.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I personally would check out Doggy Zen. That's a really useful one.
Also work on stay! if you can get a good stay, then you can walk away a bit (not far at first), and practice recall from the stay (down or sit stay).
Hanksimon mentioned KB lover, definitely check out what Wally has learned. Very cool!
You could try putting toys away as well, that one is fun! (especially if you can teach object names too)
There's stuff like boundary training you can work on....not necessarily a trick or fun command, but VERY useful! Give and Leave it are also important!
You can check out Kikopup's Youtube channel, lots of good stuff on there. Much of it is more useful than fun, but the training itself is fun too right :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts