Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
My step sister had a hard time with a shelter in her area. They would not let her adopt a dog based on the woman at the shelter not liking my step sisters BF. Refused her. They kept at it and adopted a beautiful little cocker spaniel puppy.

We adopted our Stella through a local rescue that had posted her on petfinder. We lucked out and didn't have any troubles even though our yard is not 100% fenced in.

Good luck with the search for a kitty!!! Hang in there!!

·
Registered
171 Posts
That really sucks.
It was like a trick question or something. Wow Kyllo, not adopting to people with children is really sad.Lets just euth them instead of putting them with those evil children now..

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I've been turned down by both sheltie rescues in my area, but at the same time and in the same circumstances I was approved by a local aussie rescue and a sheltie rescue in a neighboring state. Rescues are very individual and have their own policies, politics, and agendas. If you've been turned down, keep looking, and to the OP, nothing wrong with getting a free cat/kitten on craigslist or wherever, some are likely to end up at the shelter anyway.

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Two of our cats came from local shelters. One came from a kitten rescue. When we adopted all of them we were upfront that the cats would live in our 3000 sq. foot kennel building and they would be pets and mousers. No one batted an eye...I fully expected the rescue to turn us down.

There are plenty of rescues and shelters out there who won't turn you down. Just find another one.

I would never lie or misrepresent to get a pet...And I've worked in greyhound adoption to know what are the right answers are. But, just like I want people to be honest with me when they are adopting, I am honest with whatever group I am applying to.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I have no idea what the reasoning for turning down Stripe for wanting to hunt a dog was but...
We (the shelter here) had a man that came in and applied for a Beagle. On his application he wrote that he wanted it to hunt. The dog in question had been surrendered for the reason "gun shy" so we turned him down for that dog. After speaking to him further, he also wanted the dog for breeding. (I am not suggesting that Stripe was this kind of person) just remembered it upon reading this.
My point being, sometimes shelters have to make such strict policy to try to protect dogs based on other stories or situations they have been through. I know it is not perfect (far from it, here) but I assure you, they have literally heard it all. I think most people would be downright shocked to hear some of the crap excuses that people give for wanting a dog or rather, what they want a dog for. (cats too)
I had worked in private rescue for years and didn't think I could ever see or hear anything more then I had already. I was wrong. :(
There are a lot of fools out there. I mean, can you even imagine deciding to start breeding dogs and going to the local shelter to look for your next perspective breeding dog? :(

21 - 25 of 25 Posts