Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I am looking for a dog right now, and a cat. Animals are my life and I don't have kids, so I can afford them :)

Anyways, I went to a shelter an hour away from me and while I fell in love with a pitt bull there, he was just too much dog for me. I didn't find the right cat there so I thought I would check out my local shelter too. I found a cat my husband and I really liked so I filled out the 5 page application for it. Yesterday, I am shopping and the shelter calls. They inform me that I am declined. I ask them why? They said that on one question, I answered something wrong apparently.

This was the question: What are your intentions for this cat? The options were: breeding, hunting, childs companion, etc. I misunderstood the question and I thought I HAD to pick one, so I circled MOUSER. I also wrote in right next to it "Companion for me" since the other options didn't fit what I intended to do with the cat.

That is why they declined me! I was so upset. If you knew me, you would know that my pets are treated like gold, they get the best foods, all the toys they could want, up tp date vet visits, and soft cushy beds to lounge on. SIgh, it makes me feel like I am not good enough to have a pet when a shelter declines me.

So, I tried to do the right thing by adopting. Meanwhile, there are free kittens EVERYWHERE so if I meet the "right" one, I am taking it. I am not just going to take the first one that comes along, it has to speak to me, you know?

Anyways, thanks for reading this if you made it this far through my rant. I just thought you people would understand.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Wow, that's stupid. o_O Sure they want the cat to go to the right person, but you'd think they would put more thought into how the adopter interacts with the animal and not just what they wrote on a piece of paper.
I hope you find the perfect kitty soon! :D

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
I understand.

I was declined by a few rescue-groups through petfinder.com when it came to looking for a dog. A few declined me because I lived in an apartment and I had two sisters. 12 and 5 years old... Yeah, granted they're young, but the dogs I were looking at loved kids, and was small enough that an apartment life would not be an issue... I think some people are just too picky for the qualifications... People are out there starving their pets, and I, someone who loves animals and would smother them in love can't get a kid-loving-dog because I live in an apartment and have two kids living with me! WTH?

But yeah, I understand your frustration... Happy-Kitty-Hunting! : D

·
Registered
434 Posts
Shoot, the local cat rescue around here will actually encourage people to take ferals that are not in good locations and they try to rehome them with people with farms who need mousers (so the ferals get in a place with less traffic that they are wanted and not creating a nuisance and they realize it's hard enough trying to home full grown cats that are loving and not feral so it keeps less ferals from having to be put to sleep).

I think it's a great program honestly.

·
Registered
236 Posts
lol ive been turned down by more rescues than you can shake a stick at! dont worry too much about it, many of them have a cookie cutter idea of what a "perfect pet owner" is and if you don't fit perfectly.. DENIED!

its really the reason why I went to a local public shelter, it was so much easier. I picked out kenya, paid the adoption fee, signed a couple of papers and then it was done lol

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
I have great references and have been turned down for working M-F and for being single.

One of the people who heard I was turned down said, "don't they know that an animal that comes to live with you has just hit the freaking LOTTO???" I guess not.

I go to work M-F so that the animals have a great place to live, the best food and the best vet care. I am single because I got a Cat for my Husband and it was a good trade. a few years later and well after the Divorce I got a Dog for my Boy friend.. and that was a great swap too.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
I don't get what the issue is with having a cat as a mouser. My parents have a cat as a mouser as the person who owns the field behind their house never does any maintenance on it and it's crawling w/mice. Since they got the cat, the mice stay away from their house. The cat lives outside most of the time and is fed all to well by the looks of her. I don't get what the issue is.

I got turned down from a rescue group once because my dogs are outside while I'm at work. I was told that dogs do not belong outside and should only be outside while being walked, play and for potty and nothing else.

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
I could go on and on about the crap that goes on at our local shelter. It is disheartening to me because I spent years and years volunteering, fostering, training and getting really dirty for that place. It has become sort of a glorified pet store now and it makes me very upset.
They do not even do any background checks anymore and I am a BIG background check advocate. I no longer go by the Any home is better then being put to sleep theory anymore. I have seen too many of those ANY HOMES. :(

That said, I am so sad that shelters do not spend more time "counseling" people. I mean had they taken the 5 minutes it would have taken to go over your application with you and talk to you about it, they would have known it was a misunderstanding.
I completely understand you wanting to take one of the many FREE kittens and I am to the point too that it doesn't matter. Please do not take a kitten from the $25.oo bin. I mean, I would hate to promote anyone letting their cats get pregnant so they can make a few bucks. Way too many of them out there.
Good luck to you in finding that perfect dog and cat. I don't know if you are looking specifically for a Pit bull but you could maybe see if there are any breed specific rescues in your area. Ask you vet if there are any other rescues that you are unaware of.
In my area alone, there must be at least 30 active rescues. Most folks have no clue that they exist at all.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One all-breed rescue in my area will not adopt ANY dog to ANYONE who does not have a fenced in yard. Seems a bit ridiculous to me. I hope you find the perfect kitty for you soon!

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
There are red flags that most rescues/shelters pick up on:
Whether the pet will be an indoor only (cats especially)
Whether you plan on declawing (that's a no no)
Whether you live in an apartment v a house (for dogs and mostly because apartment dwellers are much more sensitive towards SA and barking and often endup returning the dog, stressing it even more.

When I went to look at dogs at the local THS. I got GRILLED about wanting Cracker. She's a hound mix, I live in an apartment. I'm single and work fulltime. I finally got through to the adoption person: I live in an apartment but the puppy would be with me all day as I'm a PROFESSIONAL DOGWALKER so lack of exercise, socialization and SA problems could be dealt with. I still spent more than an hour, talking to the behaviour guys, the volunteers etc etc..and still think the only reason I got her was my friend was a vet tech there...

Rescues and shelters have their reasons for being picky and they are good reasons. The number of pets that are adopted out without proper screening (or even well screened) that are returned again and again is outlandish. They want these pets to go to a home that can pretty much guarantee a furever home. You have to SELL them on why you would be a great owner and then maybe they will relax the rules. You also need to avoid the tricky questions until you get clarification on what they mean by the question in the first place.

·
Registered
35 Posts
That said, I am so sad that shelters do not spend more time "counseling" people. I mean had they taken the 5 minutes it would have taken to go over your application with you and talk to you about it, they would have known it was a misunderstanding.
I totally agree. I mean, i think that the application process is very valuable. Potential owners SHOULD be screened. However, relying on an application without any kind of interview w/prospective owners is bad policy. Too many things can slip through the cracks on an application: both great potential owners who make a simple mistake, and bad potential owners who know how to answer the questions correctly.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I do believe that they can be too picky, I love rabbits as well as dogs. I wanted to adopt a needy rabbit but the local bunny shelter will not adopt to people with dogs....
My pet rabbits are kept to a room all by themselves where the dogs never go in...they are very loving and are not stressed at all....yet I can't adopt one needing a home so I have to go through ads where they are free and stuff like that...
I can understand that they want to make sure the animal goes to a good home, but most people who are cruel to animals or want to get dogs to fight will go to the free ads for that....too easy that way and too much time wasted to adopt an animal.
We dont have a fenced in yard which is why I couldn't get a dog at certain shelters to rescue, we will fence the yard next year but my dogs get PLENTY of interaction...dog parks, frequent walks, playing with other dogs in other backyards, they go to Petsmart with me...and most people with backyards fenced in around her just keep their dogs fenced in forever as outdoor dogs..so to me the issue isn't really making sure you have a fenced yard!!
yes, shelters need to be picky but you also need to make a judgement based on that persons abilility and not what they have, as many thousands of animals are put to sleep each year because they can't find homes for them.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow thanks for all the replies. I think its ridiculous that they just shut me down and didn't even try to listen to what I had to say. They probably will never let me adopt now, especially since I got so mad I hung up on them. Not the best move on my part, but in my defense I was in line to buy something at Victoria's Secret and they caught me off guard. I can have a bit of a temper sometimes :eek:

The search continues.....

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Actually, a lot of the time they have basically untrained volunteers reviewing the adoption applications, and if something doesn't look right, they're just told to decline it. Like running it through a computer, no exceptions allowed. In those cases, most of the time if you fill out the application again with the "wrong" answer changed, they'll approve you. I don't know what kind of shelter this is, but that's how it is at the local Humane Society. So it might be worth a try to do that.

I hate to support the "free kitten" people, because that just encourages them in their irresponsibility ("why shold I spay my cat? It's not hard to find homes for her kittens", etc.), but it certainly is true that there's no shortage of cats out there. Sigh.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Its just the same over here
I was looking for another dog as a pet.
I've got 30 years experiance with dogs.
But because I work 2 of my dogs (the odd rabbit for the table)
I was refused point blank by several rescues.
I even offered to sign a contract stating that the dog would not be worked
Guess what? not good enough for them.
So I was refused by them all on a purely political/personal viewpoint. (no matter how good a home I was offering)
Then they wonder why they have so many animals and get no support.
All the best
Stripe

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Hmm, rescues in England tend to have some funny rules. For instance, most of them won't adopt cats to indoor-only homes. I don't see what the trouble with working a dog would be, if you're humane about it. Seems like something dogs enjoy.

Do shelters apply different criteria in screening potential owners depending on the adopt-ability of the dog in question, ie

- big black 5 year old lab X - anybody can have him

- pure bred small breed puppy - be selective ?
Well, the local Humane Society, when they get a "high-demand" dog, will collect all the adoption applications and pick the "best" one. Of course, they say they'd do the same for the big Lab mix, but obviously there's almost never more than one application for him.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
The SPCA in our area will only adopt cats out to people that will not let them outside and they will not adopt them to anyone with children.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Its just the same over here
I was looking for another dog as a pet.
I've got 30 years experiance with dogs.
But because I work 2 of my dogs (the odd rabbit for the table)
I was refused point blank by several rescues.
I even offered to sign a contract stating that the dog would not be worked
Guess what? not good enough for them.
So I was refused by them all on a purely political/personal viewpoint. (no matter how good a home I was offering)
Then they wonder why they have so many animals and get no support.
All the best
Stripe
What's wrong with working them? I would think that would be an ideal home especially for hte more energetic breeds because it means they will be given a home that they have something to do and will have an outlet for their energy. I would be more wary about adopting to some one like me who just wants a dog to hang around than some one who wants the dog to actually go do stuff with them and train them to work for them. I mean, I'm pretty sure dogs love having a job!

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
I was turned down by a pug rescue because I had a small child ...:eek:...but since then I have been approved as a foster for anther pug rescue....go figure LOL

I actually agree w/places that don't adopt to people wanting outside cats....unless you have a cat kennel or something similar to keep the cat safely contained in your own yard.

I also agree with Inga...I wish local shelters had the man power/money to counsel people instead of turning them away...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts