Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
Single dog is likely the biggest issue, here.

Dog sports people don't tend to have one dog. They are certainly looking for the next dog before the previous one is gone - they keep their retired animals as pets (and the ones that wash out) so it's not like they're down to no dogs when they're looking for a new sports dog. Dog PEOPLE don't tend to have one dog, honestly. And by dog people I mean people who are really into dogs.

Also flyball is a series of jumps, a jump and turn on the box, and a series of jumps back. They're low jumps but they are jumps.

·
Registered
17,932 Posts
Yeah, that's also true. At the moment, I'm the only agility person in our club that has just one dog, haha.
I'm trying to think if I know anyone in our local trials who only *has* (as opposed to only runs) one dog, and I can think of ONE - and he started with 2 and is looking to add another.

I think most people have 4 or 5. Most of them with 2 competing and then the rest either retired from competition due to age or injury, or washed due to behavior/temperament problems. (This is very, very general clearly - there are people with two dogs and both competing, there are people who are running 4 dogs, there are people who own 7.) Single dogs are RARE and I don't know anybody who waits until they have no dogs to get a new one. They probably wouldn't go for a middle aged large adult for the purpose of being a sports dog, either - would get it and do sports with it, if they loved the dog, no problem, but not FOR sports, because figure 2 years of training and the dog's a vet before you enter the ring and then its competition life's going to be *SHORT*.

Dog events are STILL a good place to network for placing a dog, though, because they know people who want dogs.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts