Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Sounds like you are flopping halfway between looking for a competition-ish home and a pet-ish home. You say she would love to do X, Y, Z but also wants to be a house dog. By doing this you are missing both demographics and market her as too much for a pet owner and too particular for a competition home.

My advice is advertising her for the dog that she is, not the dog that you want her to be in a new home. Here's an example:

Fluffy is a lovely dog with an outgoing personality. She is smart and house trained. Fluffy is a pro at basic obedience and especially loves playing games where she uses her nose. Her other favorites are fetch, tug, and cuddling on the couch. At 5 years of age, Fluffy is mature enough to settle in a house and hang out with the family, but is in excellent health and would love to go on outdoor adventures. Fluffy is looking for an active family and would prefer to be the only child. She is fine meeting and interacting with other dogs but does not want to live with one. Whoever adopts Fluffy will find themselves with a loyal, intelligent, and loving companion.

Of course, I don't know your dog so this is purely an example. But point is, be simple. Adopters are often looking for less than you think they are. They don't care about titles or how many cues a dog knows. UNLESS you are now specifically looking for a competition home. Now that is like writing a resume...

·
Registered
7,375 Posts
Sorry to hear that. It happens in my line of work all the time. Recently someone adopted a husky and promptly let the dog loose on her large and remote property. It took two days and a neighbor finally caught the dog. The adopter returned the dog and said she 'didn't believe in leashes or fences.'

You'll find the right match. And it's nice that you have the time to be thorough.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts