Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have this dog.. young, UTD on everything, spayed and well trained (very well trained in fact), sound and smart as a whip who needs re-homing for the simple reason that she and the old dog (also female) have given every indication that a "bitch fight" is simply brewing. She is a queen and believes she should be THE queen.

This dog is a good dog who is titled but simply does not want to do IPO sport anymore. Like any dog that has some drive she needs to be active (so more than a 20 minute walk once a day) and yes, she needs to be managed (so when you are out walking her YOU need to pay attention and see the squirrel before she does!). Normal dog stuff (at least I think so).

Considering the posts here about dogs and training dogs and the issues with training dogs, wouldn't you think finding this already trained dog a good home where she could be part of a family and an only dog would be a pretty easy task?

Nope. Not. Not at all!

This has been one of the most frustrating tasks I have ever been engaged in!

I am actually beginning to see why rescues have lengthy questions.. almost like a test.. and I am also seeing why they stop responding to inquiries (though I still believe the latter is irresponsible if you are a rescue).

I am sure this will all work out at some point. It is a frustrating process!!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Why don't you try for a performance home, like agility or flyball or disc or something? Maybe she would like those sports better? Have you tried advertising on rescue websites? Sometimes they will "courtesy post" for you so you can get your dog in front of more people. In my area there is a border collie rescue that also for some reason advertises other herding breeds like Dutch Shepherds, Belgian Malinois, and German Shepherds that are typically from performance homes. This one: http://bcrofmn.org/index.p

Maybe doing something like that could help her find a suitable home.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yes. That is in her ad and I have put her out there for those sorts of things as well as tracking etc. She LOVES to track. Loves obstacles. LOVES walking on top of things, going through things and over things (as a puppy I had her on play ground equipment).

I had an inquiry for training for a true service dog for a wheel chair bound person. She could learn all the tasks suggested, but settling in a public environment would be difficult for her. Service dogs have a particular demeanor. I was honest with the person asking and they appreciated that. I had another inquiry from a first time dog owner.. young people. I asked if they were planning a family.. and I did say I knew this was an invasive question.. but I wanted to know what they would do with the dog who needs attention if they had a new baby that also needed attention. I probably won't hear from them again (they ARE planning a family in the near future).

I agree.. the ad says she would love a home where she could do Nose Work (she would excel at this) or Agility etc. Fly ball I think the dog does a lot of leaping in the air and landing on hard ground.. and even tho she is OFA good, that can really mess up a German Shepherd's back and hips. I did try her for dock diving. She likes to swim. Jumping off the dock not so much. We even built drive and ran together the length of the dock. She got to the edge and stopped.. I went in. She liked THAT a lot (and I swear she was laughing). So for dock diving she wants to be the handler. Ha.

I will try a rescue and see where that goes. I will NOT ship her and her prospective owner must come and meet her. That limits the area I can pull from (northeast US). Also, I will deliver her as I want to see where she is going.

·
Registered
549 Posts
I think it's harder with dogs that need to be single dogs, to be honest (I don't really know anyone who only has one). And yeah... people always want puppies :( And only few people really want to be involved in dog sports (you really have to be into it, especially when you consider that it's easier for dogs to get injured doing that). Flyball has no jumping, just sprinting to get balls in teams (my sister is French champion with one of her dogs - but another got injured doing that too - LOTS of running).

But just keep trying, I'm sure you'll find the perfect home eventually. Honestly, I'd probably reach out to Agility clubs in the area and post your ads there.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I think it's harder with dogs that need to be single dogs, to be honest (I don't really know anyone who only has one). And yeah... people always want puppies :( And only few people really want to be involved in dog sports (you really have to be into it, especially when you consider that it's easier for dogs to get injured doing that). Flyball has no jumping, just sprinting to get balls in teams (my sister is French champion with one of her dogs - but another got injured doing that too - LOTS of running).

But just keep trying, I'm sure you'll find the perfect home eventually. Honestly, I'd probably reach out to Agility clubs in the area and post your ads there.
That might be a good idea. I guess if agility competitors are looking for another dog, they might talk to people at agility competitions, right, haha? Someone at my club was just complaining the other day how they hate waiting for the dog to fully develop so they can start on some of the higher-impact stuff!

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
Single dog is likely the biggest issue, here.

Dog sports people don't tend to have one dog. They are certainly looking for the next dog before the previous one is gone - they keep their retired animals as pets (and the ones that wash out) so it's not like they're down to no dogs when they're looking for a new sports dog. Dog PEOPLE don't tend to have one dog, honestly. And by dog people I mean people who are really into dogs.

Also flyball is a series of jumps, a jump and turn on the box, and a series of jumps back. They're low jumps but they are jumps.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Single dog is likely the biggest issue, here.

Dog sports people don't tend to have one dog. They are certainly looking for the next dog before the previous one is gone - they keep their retired animals as pets (and the ones that wash out) so it's not like they're down to no dogs when they're looking for a new sports dog. Dog PEOPLE don't tend to have one dog, honestly. And by dog people I mean people who are really into dogs.

Also flyball is a series of jumps, a jump and turn on the box, and a series of jumps back. They're low jumps but they are jumps.
Yeah, that's also true. At the moment, I'm the only agility person in our club that has just one dog, haha.

·
Registered
17,913 Posts
Yeah, that's also true. At the moment, I'm the only agility person in our club that has just one dog, haha.
I'm trying to think if I know anyone in our local trials who only *has* (as opposed to only runs) one dog, and I can think of ONE - and he started with 2 and is looking to add another.

I think most people have 4 or 5. Most of them with 2 competing and then the rest either retired from competition due to age or injury, or washed due to behavior/temperament problems. (This is very, very general clearly - there are people with two dogs and both competing, there are people who are running 4 dogs, there are people who own 7.) Single dogs are RARE and I don't know anybody who waits until they have no dogs to get a new one. They probably wouldn't go for a middle aged large adult for the purpose of being a sports dog, either - would get it and do sports with it, if they loved the dog, no problem, but not FOR sports, because figure 2 years of training and the dog's a vet before you enter the ring and then its competition life's going to be *SHORT*.

Dog events are STILL a good place to network for placing a dog, though, because they know people who want dogs.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She really just wants to be the House Dog. However, I have a new lead today and we will see where THAT goes.

She would be an excellent "chore dog" on a farm.. but with less than 2% of the population farming that is a stretch.

Normally, as like most dog sport people, I would just keep her and have her in the house and retired and go on. I too have multiple dogs and this is my dog going out as my next dog is coming into the sport. If my current house dog was a male I think it would be no worries. But she is not and they are giving me every indication a bitch fight is on the brew. So I vet the re-home.. and another dog and a male would be OK and I have said that. A pack of dogs? Probably not so much.

The idea is a retirement home.. A Pet home really. One person wanted to do more IPO with her but keep her in a kennel and so forth. She has made it crystal clear she no longer wants that (but she would track up a storm). Fly ball would be OK if it is low jumps. I guess I was thinking "Disc Dog" or something like that (sorry.. I just don't know about all the sports people do). She is small enough and fast enough to do jumping and athletic enough and interested enough and has sufficient drive to do agility. She is a small and compact dog (56 pounds). As you say, starting a dog at 5 years old means you probably have 3 years maybe 4 years (because she is wirey and compact I think she would go longer and be happy doing so).

She will be attending a show n go this weekend. See if I drum up interest there. She retrieves a big old IPO 1 Dumbbell over a 36 inch jump (she would normally jump 22" for AKC obedience) and that always gets people to pay attention. Ha!

The other thing is people who do not understand the sport she has been in don't understand the dog (even people in dogs for years often are clueless about dogs and that amazes me). I had one such person tell me that an IPO 3 titled dog is like having a loaded gun. THAT guy has had GSD's for 35 years and knows.. not much! My dog is no more THAT than if she had never titled at all.

I am sure it will all work out.
I won't place her where she will end up worse off than if she just stays here and I rotate her through the house with the other dog I have. It's just not ideal.

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Sounds like you are flopping halfway between looking for a competition-ish home and a pet-ish home. You say she would love to do X, Y, Z but also wants to be a house dog. By doing this you are missing both demographics and market her as too much for a pet owner and too particular for a competition home.

My advice is advertising her for the dog that she is, not the dog that you want her to be in a new home. Here's an example:

Fluffy is a lovely dog with an outgoing personality. She is smart and house trained. Fluffy is a pro at basic obedience and especially loves playing games where she uses her nose. Her other favorites are fetch, tug, and cuddling on the couch. At 5 years of age, Fluffy is mature enough to settle in a house and hang out with the family, but is in excellent health and would love to go on outdoor adventures. Fluffy is looking for an active family and would prefer to be the only child. She is fine meeting and interacting with other dogs but does not want to live with one. Whoever adopts Fluffy will find themselves with a loyal, intelligent, and loving companion.

Of course, I don't know your dog so this is purely an example. But point is, be simple. Adopters are often looking for less than you think they are. They don't care about titles or how many cues a dog knows. UNLESS you are now specifically looking for a competition home. Now that is like writing a resume...

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Canyx. This is what I put out:

Greta is looking for a retirement home and a new career. She is sound and just turned 5 July 28, 2018. She is not a large dog at 56 pounds and she is very athletic. She is titled and well trained. She wants to be the "queen" so not a good candidate with another female or a "pack" of dogs. She would likely do well in Agility (loves to run and looks at obstacles as challenges). She would excel at tracking (she has her Fh1) in any venue including AKC as well as Nose Work.

She is very smart and very observant and loves to play ball or tug and go for hikes.

She would do best as "only dog" or with a low key male. She would love to be with someone who is active outside (hiking, cross country skiing, swimming and so forth). She wants to live in the house and would love being with a young person as a "best friend." I believe she would do well in 4H.

She is spayed, UTD on everything and very clean in the house. She is crate trained.

That is the ad. I am getting responses as it was shared openly.

I am trying hard not to be super "picky" but I do want it to work and I do not want to see her end up out in a pen in the yard or on a chain or with someone heavy handed who would hit her or let her out and let her get hit by a car (you know.. the usual stuff we want to avoid for any dog!). I also want her to come back to me if it does not work out. Oh and No dog parks (she would be real unhappy with that).

I may have found someone actually.. have to meet and greet and see how it goes if they get back to me.

I also admit it is a bit scary to let her go to someone else!!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Thank you Canyx. This is what I put out:

Greta is looking for a retirement home and a new career. She is sound and just turned 5 July 28, 2018. She is not a large dog at 56 pounds and she is very athletic. She is titled and well trained. She wants to be the "queen" so not a good candidate with another female or a "pack" of dogs. She would likely do well in Agility (loves to run and looks at obstacles as challenges). She would excel at tracking (she has her Fh1) in any venue including AKC as well as Nose Work.

She is very smart and very observant and loves to play ball or tug and go for hikes.

She would do best as "only dog" or with a low key male. She would love to be with someone who is active outside (hiking, cross country skiing, swimming and so forth). She wants to live in the house and would love being with a young person as a "best friend." I believe she would do well in 4H.

She is spayed, UTD on everything and very clean in the house. She is crate trained.

That is the ad. I am getting responses as it was shared openly.

I am trying hard not to be super "picky" but I do want it to work and I do not want to see her end up out in a pen in the yard or on a chain or with someone heavy handed who would hit her or let her out and let her get hit by a car (you know.. the usual stuff we want to avoid for any dog!). I also want her to come back to me if it does not work out. Oh and No dog parks (she would be real unhappy with that).

I may have found someone actually.. have to meet and greet and see how it goes if they get back to me.

I also admit it is a bit scary to let her go to someone else!!
I think I would eliminate the "new career" part, because this is her retirement home, right? Or maybe "career change" instead of strictly retirement. Five isn't that old, she would be a great as someone's hiking buddy or travel dog. Maybe specify that although she doesn't care to play with other dogs or live with one, that she is able to work around other dogs and isn't going to be uncomfortable in their midst. I can see how someone looking for a well-trained adventure buddy might be turned off by "wants to be an only dog" when it is likely that they'll run into dogs at some point. I like Canyx's wording on that one.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks. If I have to repost it, I will change the language. I am sort of hoping on this last inquiry.

I am leaving her out there for a week this way (no rush really.. just more work for me and really.. it's just work). Next time I will post it a bit differently.

And so we see.

It only takes ONE right person or family after all. I will report back if I find someone. Or not. Ha! Her life is not bad with me and we know each other well. She was bouncing around while I mowed grass yesterday. She even managed to catch a rabbit (takes a quick dog to catch a rabbit!). She spent half a day indoors. It is sort of funny. I will be sitting and doing something. I hear a "noise" upstairs. I yell up, "What are you doing up there?" and I hear her run.. then thumpity down the stairs and then there she is with a ball in her mouth looking at me as if to say, "Nothing Mom!!" Then she bounces off again to find the cat. She does make me laugh. She is a happy thing for sure!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, that potential adopter fell through. They want a "Disney Dog" that they can just let out and not be watched (no fenced yard) and not go in the road, that would not chase a deer if it wandered in the yard, that will magically obey them off leash right off the bat... I recommend a Walmart stuffed dog (but I was good.. I did not say it.. I just said "Thanks for asking about her."

As my training partner said, "Pet Dog People with unrealistic expectations."

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Sorry to hear that. It happens in my line of work all the time. Recently someone adopted a husky and promptly let the dog loose on her large and remote property. It took two days and a neighbor finally caught the dog. The adopter returned the dog and said she 'didn't believe in leashes or fences.'

You'll find the right match. And it's nice that you have the time to be thorough.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Had a very very promising call last night from a person who used to have a working dog that did some real work. Now she wants a dog that will go hiking and rides nice in the car and all that sort of thing. She is familiar with working dogs and their drives as well as their need to be active. Other dog in the house is an older male that my dog would probably boss around a bit but being a male-female it would likely work. Yard is fenced and large and surrounded by Stockade fence!

Yes it IS nice to be able to be thorough. Then again, I really love my dog and out of that love I am trying to give her a better life. I will probably cry a little when she goes and that says something for me I guess.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Greta is now a resident of Virginia. She rode to her new home in a Camaro and got to sleep on the Motel bed. Last night the new owner went for a run and picked up Chinese Food. Greta went with her.. NOT sure if the Chinese food made it home since I can see Greta saying, "Oh I see you have Chinese food. I like Chinese food..."

As soon as I found her this home (which is a good one) TWO MORE people wanted her. I guess that is how this goes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts