Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
No problem! :) Ooh, that sounds interesting. I haven't thought about dehydrating sweet potatoes before. Is it possible to dehydrate food in the oven?
Yes you can. It's something like baking at 200 degrees for a few hours I believe. Google it I'm sure you'll get what you're looking for. I'd just search dehydrating in an oven.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
Oh dear. I have no idea why Iorek or Brom and especially both are having poop problems!

Nia will sometimes have a softer poop if she eats at a certain time and has a poop right after. But I think what you're describing is a lot softer than Nia's soft poop. With Nia's it's formed, pick up-able but leaves a poop shape on the cement or sidewalk or whatever. And she only has one like if she too often. For example if she ate in the morning at 8 am and then ate again at 11 am another 1/4 cup then she'll have a soft one.

I think it might be a good idea to just stick to food only and skip all those supplements. Since they're not helping much anyways and I just don't think it's necessary.

Let us know how it's going. You've really had it rough with Iorek's food problems!

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
Yes you can. It's something like baking at 200 degrees for a few hours I believe. Google it I'm sure you'll get what you're looking for. I'd just search dehydrating in an oven.
Oh, wow, I found lots of recipes. Thanks! I think I'll try the apple one tomorrow :D Do the treats come out crunchy or sort of chewy?

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
That will depend on how long you let them bake. The less time they bake the more chewy they'll be. It'll have to be a trial and error thing.

·
Registered
538 Posts
IM, if I were you, until you figured this whole mess out, I would shave IOREK's bum. I know thats a little odd but it would help so the runny poop doesn't get stuck to his anal fur. Is it staining him, sinc he is white.

Good luck.

Have you considered homemade diets?

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
You're welcome! Are you in a remote area? I see you're in Newfoundland. God willing, I will get back to Canada some day, I visited years ago and am dying to go back :)
Auz hated pumpkin too, and would eat around it. If I mixed it, he'd skip a meal. Not like him. I don't have picky dogs and I know this; and I figure as much problems as he was having if he turned something down it was probably a good thing (ever have one of those times where the mere thought of a certain food makes you feel nauseous)?
Yes, I am in a remote area, well, not as remote as some areas, but pretty remote. I live in Baie Verte, Newfoundland. I LOVE it here! The only things that I don't like is that I don't have access to many stores and I don't have a vet here. My vet is 2 1/2 hours away. I have a friend who goes to school out of town so he picks up our pet food for us.

Iorek is not really picky either but he really doesn't like pumpkin. He won't even eat it if I mix it into his boiled hamburger and potatoes. He won't eat any of it even if I mix in a spoonful! I figure that dogs are pretty in tune with their bodies and know what works for them and what doesn't. I don't force it.

If you ever do get back to Canada you should try to get to Newfoundland! It is beautiful here. I love it here. My DH and I have tried to move away but we always make it back here. Can't stay away! :)

I know you said you didn't have access to Natural Balance...but if you ever do decide to try it, it's pretty amazing for firming up poop! The Limited Ingredient formulas are not very high in protein, but my dogs have amazingly good poop on the stuff! Great coats and good energy, too.

I rotated my GSD to Petcurean Now! recently, but although she loves the food...she is having some soft stool on it. I'm hoping this will get better with time.

My other dog has been battling allergies (paws inflamed and sore and gunky eyes...she's been through 2 courses of antibiotics and still has problems) and that's why I wanted to try a Limited Ingredient Formula..i.e. the Natural Balance. Although, I loved the results of the food in general, it did nothing to help her allergies. My Vet has recommended Hill's Z/D Ultra for 10 to 12 weeks and then re-evaluate her condition. My next step will be allergy testing, but I am really concerned about the cost. One of my clients spent $7,000 on her highly allergic shih-tzu! She did end up 99% better after all the shots and what-not, but the money!!

Oh, I wanted to add that my dogs always had great poop on a raw diet...my GSd still gets some raw meals... but they never did great on high protein kibble. Just sayin'!
I wish that I could give Natural Balance a try but I don't know of any store that carries it. I would have to order it and I don't know if the shipping would be reasonable.

I would love to try Petcurean with the dogs but they don't make a formula without chicken. I feed Go! Chicken Turkey and Duck Grain free to my ferrets and cats. The ferrets get the kibble and the cats get the canned. They are all doing fantastically on it.

I am planning to get allergy testing done on Iorek. I can't do a scratch test because I don't have anyone here to do it. My vet is going to send a blood sample here. He said it will be $350 for the test. I don't know if I will do any treatment. It depends on what his allergens are. If we can avoid the allergens then that is what we will do.

IM, if I were you, until you figured this whole mess out, I would shave IOREK's bum. I know thats a little odd but it would help so the runny poop doesn't get stuck to his anal fur. Is it staining him, sinc he is white.

Good luck.

Have you considered homemade diets?
We shaved Iorek's bum when he was a pup and we were trying to figure it out. But, since his pants are so long we would have to trim them right down in order to keep them from being in the way. It doesn't just drip down from his bum (usually doesn't do that actually) it kind of rubs against his pants on the tips, if that makes any sense. I don't think that a sammie without pants will look good!

We used to do raw and I am pretty sure I will have the same problem with homemade. I can only get chicken around here at a reasonable price. I can't find any beef or pork for cheaper than $3-4/lb. The dogs eat 1.5 lbs a day so that is just not feasible, price wise, to pay $9/day to feed the dogs. I am pretty sure that Iorek is allergic to chicken. We will do the allergy testing in the spring to find out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Definitely get your pup allergy tested.

I presume when you were feeding raw that you were not feeding a commercial raw like Paws and Claws.

I also presume you must be quite rural. Are there no local farms that sell meats, other than chicken (not sure if you thought of that or not).

Sorry, if I'm no help.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Yes, I was feeding prey model raw that I prepared myself.

There are no farms, not even chicken farms in my area. I don't think there is even a pork or beef farm on the island anywhere. I called the butchers in the "area" to see if I could get the "leftover" parts and organs and one said the only way I could get it is if I am there on that day to take things home. But, since the butcher is almost 4 hours away that is not possible. He said he doesn't have freezer space to keep things for me. The rest said no.

I am going to get the allergy testing done in the next month or two.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Yes, I am in a remote area, well, not as remote as some areas, but pretty remote. I live in Baie Verte, Newfoundland. I LOVE it here! The only things that I don't like is that I don't have access to many stores and I don't have a vet here. My vet is 2 1/2 hours away. I have a friend who goes to school out of town so he picks up our pet food for us.

Iorek is not really picky either but he really doesn't like pumpkin. He won't even eat it if I mix it into his boiled hamburger and potatoes. He won't eat any of it even if I mix in a spoonful! I figure that dogs are pretty in tune with their bodies and know what works for them and what doesn't. I don't force it.

If you ever do get back to Canada you should try to get to Newfoundland! It is beautiful here. I love it here. My DH and I have tried to move away but we always make it back here. Can't stay away! :)

Oh, I *WILL* make it back to Canada! <G> My Road Trip Dream is to drive from here (ohio) to Inuvik on the Alaskan Highway :) I didn't get very far north when I visited, once to Niagara Falls (which I ADORED) and again to Montreal (beautiful beautiful city). I like the remote areas, but the lack of a vet would worry me, too.
To keep it dog related, I agree--don't force it. I think they have enough sense (most of the time :p) to know what will and won't make them sick, especially if they've gotten sick on that food before. When I was a little kid I ate 3 or 4 boxes of the Little Debbie Christmas tree cakes. I got SO sick. This has been at least 20 years ago and the very thought of them makes me want to puke :eek:

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Haha! One time my family went on a road trip and we had Jelly Belly jellybeans and my favourite were the watermelon flavour so I ate a few too many and got a little carsick. :S I haven't eaten them since!

I fasted the pups for 14 hours (after their middle meal yesterday until breakfast this morning) and they both had pretty firm stools since.

I didn't get out to the grocery store yet but I am going tomorrow to get some things and I will get some sweet potatoes then if they have any. I am going to try to dehydrate them in the oven. I think that the dogs will like them. Well, Brom will for sure! He will eat anything!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts