Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, about 2 1/2 weeks ago I made a stupid mistake and I gave the dogs Orijen 6 Fish food for 2 meals (one in the evening one day and one in the morning the next day) without switching slowly from Orijen Regional Red.

I immediately went back to RR and stuck with it since. Since then both dogs have been having loose stools off and on. I am so frustrated!!

I have been giving them acidophilus and I reduced their food by a 1/4 cup to see if this would help.

They have been getting acidophilus (probiotics) every day since they switched from raw to kibble on Dec 28th. They were both doing perfectly with the food until that STUPID mistake! I am so angry with myself. The switch from raw to kibble went great, no loose stool at all.

Now, I am trying to figure out what the heck to do.

I switched from raw to kibble because I am suspecting Iorek has a chicken allergy and since chicken is the only reliable source of food that I can get around here I had to find a kibble that I can feed them. I originally switched to raw because I couldn't find a single kibble that would work for Iorek. They would be fine for about a month and then everything would go down hill. So, does this mean that now Iorek is done tolerating RR and that is it?!?

I am at my wits end. I just don't know what to do anymore!

Regional Red is the ONLY food that I can find around here that doesn't have chicken in it.

What can I do??

Also, it makes no sense that BOTH dogs are having issues now. I have decided today that EVERYTHING but kibble is being cut out of their diet. No more peanut butter, no more acidophilus, nothing. Poor pups.

They don't have loose stools all the time. They will have maybe one loose stool a day and they are actually having less bowel movements now then they were when they were having firm stools.

ARGH!!!

What do you think?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Oh man, I remember you. Iorek was doing great on raw, what happened? That really sucks. SO you are doing Orijen. Have you tried something like Natural Balance allergy formula? You can do lamb and brown rice, sweet potato and fish, potato and duck (although I heard some negative stuff about it since they changed formula) sweet potato and venison, and some other ones. They are coming out with a bison formula.

I don't know the general consensis on Natural Balance, but I think its a pretty good food.

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Geesh IM it just never seems to end does it... I feel dso badly for you and your pups having to go thru all this. Thankfully tho you are doing what I was goin gto suggest... cutting out the acidophilus. I have never used it and think there might be a better alternative for you to use if you want to add a probiotic to their diet... something more "natural". Time to invest in a food dehydrator or learn how to bake your own treats out of whole meat products I think. No doggie wants to live with zero treats :) Seriously hoping all this works out for you soon, but in the long run maybe since it's just occasional soft stools it's just how they are and no amount of food changing is gonna affect that I go thru that occasionally even with my most consistant poopers. There is a day or 2 a month where they'll poo an extra time and it comes out like soft serve ice cream but the morning poo was nice and formed. Maybe you're just being a little hypercritical (please don't take that the wrong way).

PS Wolfsnaps you live like 40 minutes away from me. I'm right out side of Erie Pa. :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
All the good dog people live in PA (Lol). Are you enjoying the snow?

Sorry, didn't mean to hijack thread. I am interested in OREK'S saga. He is a beautiful dog, if not difficult to feed.

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Meh had enough snow for one season but the dogs (some of them anywho) love it. PS LOVE your mastiff... Iorek is absolutely the world's most difficult to feed dog but I think hopefully some resolution will come of all the saga soon.

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
So, about 2 1/2 weeks ago I made a stupid mistake and I gave the dogs Orijen 6 Fish food for 2 meals (one in the evening one day and one in the morning the next day) without switching slowly from Orijen Regional Red.

I immediately went back to RR and stuck with it since. Since then both dogs have been having loose stools off and on. I am so frustrated!!

I have been giving them acidophilus and I reduced their food by a 1/4 cup to see if this would help.

They have been getting acidophilus (probiotics) every day since they switched from raw to kibble on Dec 28th. They were both doing perfectly with the food until that STUPID mistake! I am so angry with myself. The switch from raw to kibble went great, no loose stool at all.

I switched from raw to kibble because I am suspecting Iorek has a chicken allergy and since chicken is the only reliable source of food that I can get around here I had to find a kibble that I can feed them. I originally switched to raw because I couldn't find a single kibble that would work for Iorek. They would be fine for about a month and then everything would go down hill. So, does this mean that now Iorek is done tolerating RR and that is it?!?

Regional Red is the ONLY food that I can find around here that doesn't have chicken in it.

What can I do??

Also, it makes no sense that BOTH dogs are having issues now. I have decided today that EVERYTHING but kibble is being cut out of their diet. No more peanut butter, no more acidophilus, nothing. Poor pups.

They don't have loose stools all the time. They will have maybe one loose stool a day and they are actually having less bowel movements now then they were when they were having firm stools.

ARGH!!!

What do you think?
It might not be a bad idea to fast the dogs for 12-24 hours to give their systems a break, and start them up again on their plain kibble you plan to feed. You might consider looking into feeding them enzymes for a few days, too, so they can digest the food they get a bit better. I buy it in powdered form, it's human grade, and have taken it myself (it kinda tastes like cheese, lol).

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh man, I remember you. Iorek was doing great on raw, what happened? That really sucks. SO you are doing Orijen. Have you tried something like Natural Balance allergy formula? You can do lamb and brown rice, sweet potato and fish, potato and duck (although I heard some negative stuff about it since they changed formula) sweet potato and venison, and some other ones. They are coming out with a bison formula.

I don't know the general consensis on Natural Balance, but I think its a pretty good food.
I don't have access to this food.

Geesh IM it just never seems to end does it... I feel dso badly for you and your pups having to go thru all this. Thankfully tho you are doing what I was goin gto suggest... cutting out the acidophilus. I have never used it and think there might be a better alternative for you to use if you want to add a probiotic to their diet... something more "natural". Time to invest in a food dehydrator or learn how to bake your own treats out of whole meat products I think. No doggie wants to live with zero treats :) Seriously hoping all this works out for you soon, but in the long run maybe since it's just occasional soft stools it's just how they are and no amount of food changing is gonna affect that I go thru that occasionally even with my most consistant poopers. There is a day or 2 a month where they'll poo an extra time and it comes out like soft serve ice cream but the morning poo was nice and formed. Maybe you're just being a little hypercritical (please don't take that the wrong way).
I don't really know what can be more "natural" than acidophilus. It is the bacteria itself. How can you do something more natural?

I am only planning to cut out the treats for a week or so to see how things are going and then add things back in.

I also don't understand how I am being hypocritical. Maybe my definition is different than yours?

Iorek is having about 1 loose stool a day which equals one bum bath a day. This is not acceptable.

I am going to have to get the allergy testing done sooner than I was hoping to do it.

Loose stool every day is not good.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It might not be a bad idea to fast the dogs for 12-24 hours to give their systems a break, and start them up again on their plain kibble you plan to feed. You might consider looking into feeding them enzymes for a few days, too, so they can digest the food they get a bit better. I buy it in powdered form, it's human grade, and have taken it myself (it kinda tastes like cheese, lol).
What kind of enzymes do you use? I don't have access to anything here but a drug store. You said that what you use is human grade, maybe I can get it at the drug store?

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
I guess a better way to say more natural would have been something less concentrated like acidophilus. Ya know the old addage of too much of anything (evengood stuff) isn't good, well maybe you're at that point. As far as hyper critical, I know a TON of dog owners that are rushing off to the vet for the slightest burp, fart, or abnormal behavior (not saying that's you at all) but sometimes we become so focused on something that it's all we can see. If you have 1 poo a day and one bum wash then it definitely sounds like an issue (obviously right :) ) if his poo's involve a bum wash then it's coming out like pure liquid I presume and not soft serve ice cream. I second LazyG's suggestion to fast them a day and start out on just the kibble plan you intend to use and stick to it with no diversity for at least a month then gradually reintroduce other things (I'm sure you know all this.. been there done that right).

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
What kind of enzymes do you use? I don't have access to anything here but a drug store. You said that what you use is human grade, maybe I can get it at the drug store?
I usually get the powder, but I also have multi enzymes from walmart, I give Auz 3 of those a day. It's easier to give the small dogs and cats enzymes in powdered form.
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/68/11/31/11/0068113111178_215X215.jpg
Auz eats pretty much whatever I put in his bowl, so I just toss these in with his kibble and he cleans it right up. The powdered stuff I get from a health food store.
http://www.gardenoflife.com/ProductsforLife/SUPPLEMENTS/DigestiveHealth/ΩZymeULTRA/tabid/643/Default.aspx
I've also used slippery elm with good results
http://www.helpmebehealthy.co.uk/content/view/20/23/
(you wouldn't think a name like "Slippery Elm" would help with this sort of problem, would ya? :D )
I've also fed pumpkin and peas (for fiber) if it's just loose stool and not full force diarrhea. My dogs hate pumpkin, and tolerate peas. I wish they liked pumpkin; it seems to "firm" them up when they're loose, and loosen them up when they're constipated. Miracle :D
I really would consider fasting them for 12-24 hours. I fast my dogs about 2 times a month, Tag hates it, so I give him half and half fat free yogurt mixed with water. Yogurt shouldn't hurt their digestive tract, and might even benefit it, plus adding water is a good way to keep fluids down them. I freeze the half and half in kongs, and/or ice cube trays and hand them out to the kennel dogs. They love 'em :)

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
I guess a better way to say more natural would have been something less concentrated like acidophilus. Ya know the old addage of too much of anything (evengood stuff) isn't good, well maybe you're at that point. As far as hyper critical, I know a TON of dog owners that are rushing off to the vet for the slightest burp, fart, or abnormal behavior (not saying that's you at all) but sometimes we become so focused on something that it's all we can see. If you have 1 poo a day and one bum wash then it definitely sounds like an issue (obviously right :) ) if his poo's involve a bum wash then it's coming out like pure liquid I presume and not soft serve ice cream. I second LazyG's suggestion to fast them a day and start out on just the kibble plan you intend to use and stick to it with no diversity for at least a month then gradually reintroduce other things (I'm sure you know all this.. been there done that right).
I did the elimination diet with Auz for a good 2 months, on this really bland looking kibble which he seemed to like. I wondered if he'd get upset because he couldn't have "goodies" anymore, but it was slow going reintroducing them. Meanwhile we trained more with toys, and I put his kibble in a kong with water and froze it. He loved it. I think some dogs DO get bored with the same food day after day; luckily Auz didn't seem to mind so much. Yogurt he loves, and could have. The OP might try getting some yogurt for her dogs and seeing how they do with it :)

·
Registered
4,152 Posts

What can I do??

ARGH!!!

What do you think?
Just an after thought. When the dogs have a loose stool, what are they in the process of doing (you know what I mean, lol). Are they playing, roughhousing, having a good time being let outside? I have a lot of dogs come in for boarding who are "normal" 99% of the time, but during a period of high activity (social play outside, etc) they get the "pudding craps". It's basically due to excitement, and it doesn't last, but the excitement seems to "soften them up" ::groan:: :)

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, I read "hypocritical" not hyper critical. I don't think that I am. His stools aren't pure liquid, they have form but for some reason are too soft. His "pants" are always getting some poop on them. I am just so frustrated that it was good for so long and now it is bad. It is just like before :(

I usually get the powder, but I also have multi enzymes from walmart, I give Auz 3 of those a day. It's easier to give the small dogs and cats enzymes in powdered form.
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/68/11/31/11/0068113111178_215X215.jpg
Auz eats pretty much whatever I put in his bowl, so I just toss these in with his kibble and he cleans it right up. The powdered stuff I get from a health food store.
http://www.gardenoflife.com/ProductsforLife/SUPPLEMENTS/DigestiveHealth/ΩZymeULTRA/tabid/643/Default.aspx
I've also used slippery elm with good results
http://www.helpmebehealthy.co.uk/content/view/20/23/
(you wouldn't think a name like "Slippery Elm" would help with this sort of problem, would ya? :D )
I've also fed pumpkin and peas (for fiber) if it's just loose stool and not full force diarrhea. My dogs hate pumpkin, and tolerate peas. I wish they liked pumpkin; it seems to "firm" them up when they're loose, and loosen them up when they're constipated. Miracle :D
I really would consider fasting them for 12-24 hours. I fast my dogs about 2 times a month, Tag hates it, so I give him half and half fat free yogurt mixed with water. Yogurt shouldn't hurt their digestive tract, and might even benefit it, plus adding water is a good way to keep fluids down them. I freeze the half and half in kongs, and/or ice cube trays and hand them out to the kennel dogs. They love 'em :)
Thank you. I am going into town on the 20th (weather permitting) and I will go to Walmart then. I think that I saw some slippery elm at the drug store here. I will check it out tomorrow. Iorek HATES pumpkin. Maybe I will have to give the peas a try. I can get the frozen ones, right?

I will fast the dogs tomorrow evening. I can't do it tomorrow morning. I have to go to work and I can't put them in their kennels with no kong. That would just be too sad! I am soaking some kibble now so I will stuff the kongs with soggy kibble and freeze them overnight.

Thank you for the suggestions.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
You could try sweet potato :) Cadence loves it. I'm guessing it tastes better than unsweetened pumpkin... You can just boil the sweet potato till it's really soft, and then just mash it up.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an after thought. When the dogs have a loose stool, what are they in the process of doing (you know what I mean, lol). Are they playing, roughhousing, having a good time being let outside? I have a lot of dogs come in for boarding who are "normal" 99% of the time, but during a period of high activity (social play outside, etc) they get the "pudding craps". It's basically due to excitement, and it doesn't last, but the excitement seems to "soften them up" ::groan:: :)
That is how Iorek used to be. Now it seems like the loose stool can be any time during the day or night. I just don't understand it. :( Today Iorek had a really yucky poop after a walk but this morning it was just before he had to go in the kennel for the day. He did get a walk this morning too but it wasn't right after the walk. We are not running, only a walk so I don't think that would count excitement.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You could try sweet potato :) Cadence loves it. I'm guessing it tastes better than unsweetened pumpkin... You can just boil the sweet potato till it's really soft, and then just mash it up.
Sweet potato is a good idea! Thank you. I was planning to dehydrate some sweet potato slices for treats too so I think that I will have to give it a try. I guess I am stopping at the grocery store on the way home tomorrow. I will fast them tomorrow evening and give them a little sweet potato with their meal on Friday morning.

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
That is how Iorek used to be. Now it seems like the loose stool can be any time during the day or night. I just don't understand it. :( Today Iorek had a really yucky poop after a walk but this morning it was just before he had to go in the kennel for the day. He did get a walk this morning too but it wasn't right after the walk. We are not running, only a walk so I don't think that would count excitement.
Don't be so sure IM... My lab diego gets the excitement poo's even if it is just a walk. He'll poo once on the walk kinda softer than normal, then come home and I always let them out in the run after walks and his run poo was mush.

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
No problem! :) Ooh, that sounds interesting. I haven't thought about dehydrating sweet potatoes before. Is it possible to dehydrate food in the oven?

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Thank you. I am going into town on the 20th (weather permitting) and I will go to Walmart then. I think that I saw some slippery elm at the drug store here. I will check it out tomorrow. Iorek HATES pumpkin. Maybe I will have to give the peas a try. I can get the frozen ones, right?

I will fast the dogs tomorrow evening. I can't do it tomorrow morning. I have to go to work and I can't put them in their kennels with no kong. That would just be too sad! I am soaking some kibble now so I will stuff the kongs with soggy kibble and freeze them overnight.

Thank you for the suggestions.
You're welcome! Are you in a remote area? I see you're in Newfoundland. God willing, I will get back to Canada some day, I visited years ago and am dying to go back :)
Auz hated pumpkin too, and would eat around it. If I mixed it, he'd skip a meal. Not like him. I don't have picky dogs and I know this; and I figure as much problems as he was having if he turned something down it was probably a good thing (ever have one of those times where the mere thought of a certain food makes you feel nauseous)?

·
Registered
388 Posts
I know you said you didn't have access to Natural Balance...but if you ever do decide to try it, it's pretty amazing for firming up poop! The Limited Ingredient formulas are not very high in protein, but my dogs have amazingly good poop on the stuff! Great coats and good energy, too.

I rotated my GSD to Petcurean Now! recently, but although she loves the food...she is having some soft stool on it. I'm hoping this will get better with time.

My other dog has been battling allergies (paws inflamed and sore and gunky eyes...she's been through 2 courses of antibiotics and still has problems) and that's why I wanted to try a Limited Ingredient Formula..i.e. the Natural Balance. Although, I loved the results of the food in general, it did nothing to help her allergies. My Vet has recommended Hill's Z/D Ultra for 10 to 12 weeks and then re-evaluate her condition. My next step will be allergy testing, but I am really concerned about the cost. One of my clients spent $7,000 on her highly allergic shih-tzu! She did end up 99% better after all the shots and what-not, but the money!!

Oh, I wanted to add that my dogs always had great poop on a raw diet...my GSd still gets some raw meals... but they never did great on high protein kibble. Just sayin'!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts