Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My relative had a dog-food problem not to long ago and it seems that it has not gone very far. I have just about the pickiest dog when it comes to food. I have gone through at least 5 different dog food brands such as Canidae, Blue etc and I'm currently feeding chicken soup for the dog lover's mind. The problem is that my dog simply wont eat, it will take almost half a day for her to even look at her food. I have tried everything on the book, "starve" her for a day, take the uneaten food 10 minutes after, etc, but nothing works.

Here is the thing, on her first check up with the vet, the vet recommended me Hills Science Diet, and of course, she gave me a bag to try it out, but I thought nothing of it, I knew the food is rather ugly for dogs. Oh, man... but did my dog love it. :doh:. I mixed in Canidae and SD and she would pick out the SD kibbles.

My questions is, I'm eager to try out another food yet again, and I was thinking Nature's Recipe, as its one of the rather better foods available at petsmart. Nature's recipe fits my budget, and its (to my understanding), a "half way down the road" food.
Does anyone have any recommendations as to what I should try out. I get the impression that my dog loves whats bad for her, but whose to blame, we all do.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Taste of the Wild may be a good choice - it's a fairly reasonable price.

It may take longer than a day of 'starving' before your puppers learns it's time to eat when the food is put down. It may take a month! If you are looking to change up the food - then I would definitely do the 15 minutes down, and back up again until she starts eating (and hopefully she does!). Chicken Soup is definitely a decent food though :)

That being said - my Loki is one fussy dog as well. The pick up food never really worked for him, so we've gone back to adding tidbits to his food to entice him to eat. Warm water to make a gravy, baby food, cottage cheese, eggs, etc. I feel your pain, I do.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
It took three days of offering the food for ten minutes and picking it up until the next feeding time to get my mom's dog, Zuzi, to finally eat her entire bowl..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Taste of the Wild may be a good choice - it's a fairly reasonable price.

It may take longer than a day of 'starving' before your puppers learns it's time to eat when the food is put down. It may take a month! If you are looking to change up the food - then I would definitely do the 15 minutes down, and back up again until she starts eating (and hopefully she does!). Chicken Soup is definitely a decent food though :)

That being said - my Loki is one fussy dog as well. The pick up food never really worked for him, so we've gone back to adding tidbits to his food to entice him to eat. Warm water to make a gravy, baby food, cottage cheese, eggs, etc. I feel your pain, I do.
Yes, Ive also added things here and there such as boiled/scrambled eggs, cooked (just water) rice, cooked chicken, but it shouldn't be like that. A dog should eat its food and not make such a fuzz about it. What infuriates me is the fact that she loves food brands that I consider garbage.

·
Registered
905 Posts
My Aesop is a fussy eater from time to time. On his picky days, he gets his food taken up after 10 or so minutes and it's put down at the next meal. He's missed a day or so of meals before, but he'll usually eventually eat. I don't add things to his food to get him to eat. I know he's not going to starve from not eating for a few days and I don't want to teach him to hold out for extras

1 - 6 of 6 Posts