Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Me and my 8 month old shiba inu have come to a frustrating barrier she follows single trick commands with ease but the second i try two tricks in a row she just lays down then looks at me like are you kidding? Havnt i done enough for a treat?

She did two tricks in a row a couple times then i guess realized whats goin on.

Especially the up command (gets on her hind paws and rests her front paws on my hand), she used to love that trick now she just lays down. I dont get it help!!!!!!!

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Can you have her do 2 or 3 tricks, providing a treat after each one ? Then, after a few weeks, phase out the treat to just one after a series of behaviors?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She knows shake down and up, and i gave her a treat after each trick for about 2to weeks w/o a hitch. The second i throw her a series she just basically says nope im doing one then u better gimme a treat!

·
Registered
3,342 Posts
Sounds like your dog has been on a continuous reinforcement schedule (one treat given per each correct behaviour performed). Two or three weeks or more of being on that schedule, (depending on the individual dog and the actual number of repetitions within that time), is likely far too long.

She probably should've been switched over to a variable reinforcement schedule much sooner. Switching now is certainly possible, but it will take a little bit of undoing.

You can read more details about this kind of stuff, here ...

http://www.clickermagic.com/clicker_primer/clicker_p18.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts