Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I agree that Marley was a perfectly average lab, but if his owners were perfectly average, we need to start beating kids more in school or something. ;P

(I am KIDDING. Quit glaring!)
I'm not glaring, (I agree) I think a lot of Lab owners must have been graded on the curve. I'm not gonna go further, I believe the glares will now go to me and at my age they bounce off with no problems.

It amazes and befuddles me, the people that have no idea that training a dog is as important as feeding and loving the dog. How easy it would be to look up a trainer or class environment program before they get their pups. As an x-biker I compare it to the middle age lawyers/whatever purchasing the biggest full-dress Harley never having been on a bike. It does take some learning before the purchase whether it's a Harley or a dog. Of course the Harley does not have to be PTSed.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I'm probably opening up a gigantic can of worms here, but... I remember watching a DW episode with the author of Marley & Me. The family had gotten a brand new Lab, and, surprise surprise, caused almost as much trouble for them as Marley. If I recall correctly, at no point did any of them say, "Hmmm... maybe Marley wasn't the problem, after all. Maybe I could have given Marley a much better life instead of confusing and stressing him out for more than a decade."

It amazes and befuddles me, the people that have no idea that training a dog is as important as feeding and loving the dog. How easy it would be to look up a trainer or class environment program before they get their pups. As an x-biker I compare it to the middle age lawyers/whatever purchasing the biggest full-dress Harley never having been on a bike. It does take some learning before the purchase whether it's a Harley or a dog. Of course the Harley does not have to be PTSed.
Do you get owners who show up for class once a week, but don't bother doing any training between class? Do they ask you why your class isn't working? I talked to my trainer about this, and this was her biggest peeve.

My biggest irritation is when people complain about how much work their dog is. The thing I don't get is, for me, 90% of dog ownership is fun, not work; I wouldn't have gotten a dog if it wasn't. I don't understand why a person who thinks it's a Grade-A hassle to go out for a walk in the park for an hour would ever get a dog.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
As an x-biker I compare it to the middle age lawyers/whatever purchasing the biggest full-dress Harley never having been on a bike. It does take some learning before the purchase whether it's a Harley or a dog. Of course the Harley does not have to be PTSed.

Sorry, had to laugh at this one!!!!! I've seen it too much unfortunately it's the Lawyer that ends up in the hospital or selling the bike that's too much for him.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Sounds like a very bored and non socialized dog. why give up on a dog when you put no time in in the first place? why did you even get a dog?

First start with a training class, and I think this is beyond some dinky petco training class.
you need to find a real trainer.

start at home with NILIF (nothing in life is free). the dog is BORED silly, no wonder he acts out. the dog is not socialized, no wonder he goes after people and dogs.

He NEEDS excersise, no matter how terrible it is to do, you need to train him to enjoy it and you too.

Did you get a lab becuase they are the best family dogs who require no training? seems like most people have that mindset about labs.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I'm probably opening up a gigantic can of worms here, but... I remember watching a DW episode with the author of Marley & Me. The family had gotten a brand new Lab, and, surprise surprise, caused almost as much trouble for them as Marley. If I recall correctly, at no point did any of them say, "Hmmm... maybe Marley wasn't the problem, after all. Maybe I could have given Marley a much better life instead of confusing and stressing him out for more than a decade."

Do you get owners who show up for class once a week, but don't bother doing any training between class? Do they ask you why your class isn't working? I talked to my trainer about this, and this was her biggest peeve.

My biggest irritation is when people complain about how much work their dog is. The thing I don't get is, for me, 90% of dog ownership is fun, not work; I wouldn't have gotten a dog if it wasn't. I don't understand why a person who thinks it's a Grade-A hassle to go out for a walk in the park for an hour would ever get a dog.
One of the reasons I gave up classes many years ago is I'm not what you call a people person and I got sick of saying your other left foot when heeling and also the non-commitment of people. My patience with dogs has never carried over to people. As I have always been the train/boarding type of trainer and just dabbled in classwork it was not a big deal. I did have fun when we started an exhibition /obedience/protection/obstacle type club but training these people were like working with the elana/xeph types on DF very serious and dedicated and hard working. We would go to different towns in the surrounding counties and once or twice a year do an exhibition. That was fun.

Carla, yes as Clint Eastwood once said "a man's got to know his limitations"
Sorry, had to laugh at this one!!!!! I've seen it too much unfortunately it's the Lawyer that ends up in the hospital or selling the bike that's too much for him.
I surely wasn't trying to compare the seriousness of a dumped bike accident just the lack of preparation for something that could end with a dumped dog. At least the person on bike pays for his own accident with some bodily injury. The dog is usually the one who has to pay on the other end.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
wvasko, I was just laughing because we're 'biker's' too! I love seeing the middle aged successful _____ buying a bagger at the local H-D dealer (I'm friends with the sales manager whom I've 4 bikes from), I know I'll be able to pick it up cheap in two months.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I started biking as a kid, a 350cc AJS Matchless then graduated to my 1st Harley an old 45 x-police bike and finally to a 1963 74 Harley full dress with the old fashion fringed leather saddle bags. I remember in 1953 you could buy full dress Harley for 1200.00 aahhhh yes those were the days. Sorry I was dreaming of the old days. Last bike was a 1978.5 1200cc FLH limited edition dresser. Sold it in 86 and my biking days came to a standstill. I guarantee if the time comes that I have to retire to the old rocking chair I will have some fantastic memories. Whoops I think we got off the Chocolate Lab course.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Ahhhh, Carla, Wvasko, you're triggering memories . . . I was a very sheltered person, and bought a bike for my husband . . .a 1970 Honda 750 (before they sounded like lawn mowers) that was custom painted and OMG can't remember the term, but, the front end was WAY out there. Sigh. Hate getting old er. Anywho, I actually was able to SOMEHOW handle that thing and RIDE! WOW. Life has never been the same. GAWD that was so much fun!

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Marley's problems were sad because his owners seemed so perversely proud of how 'bad' he was, which in reality ALL of his behavior was pretty much attributable to their lack of supervision, inability to actually follow a house rule or enforce ANY kind of good behavior, and their apparent emotional investment in having him be so naughty so they could be saintly in putting up with him. I think the only book that's made me angrier than M&M is that Jon Katz book about poor Devon!
I started reading the book, but didn't get very far. The wife considers my yelling at the TV to be an early sign of old-guy dementia. If she caught me yelling at a book, she'd have me committed. "Marley" behaved like a pretty typical Lab with no intelligent adult humans to provide guidance. I'd guess that dog's life was not a terribly happy one.

And yes, you have not lived until you've driven a large torquey motorcycle in a snow storm. I've always loved Duo-Glides best, but never had the pleasure.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I started reading the book, but didn't get very far. The wife considers my yelling at the TV to be an early sign of old-guy dementia. If she caught me yelling at a book, she'd have me committed. "Marley" behaved like a pretty typical Lab with no intelligent adult humans to provide guidance. I'd guess that dog's life was not a terribly happy one.

And yes, you have not lived until you've driven a large torquey motorcycle in a snow storm. I've always loved Duo-Glides best, but never had the pleasure.
When you're right, you're right.

·
Registered
673 Posts
You have to remember too that 15 years ago obedience training in the "average" persons life with a dog wasn't the biggest thing at the time (referring to Marley and Me) Now everyone expects a perfectly trained dog at 5 or 6 months old regardless of how much energy they can have. If they where aggressive or shy or whatever...... don't put yourself or the dog in the situation, but in our lives now it seems like we have to force our dogs to "get over it" I think the author of that movie was reflecting his crazy life at that time with his dog and after the dog ages and passes away, we can think of the funny, frustrating times and laugh through our tears

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I'm sorry, as a trainer I know there were many people that wanted a trained dog at that time(15 yrs ago)I know people 40 yrs ago. I have no idea where the idea that people now a days want a perfectly trained dog at 5 or 6 months of age come from either. I like to get pups from 4.5 months on up. The younger the better but all clients are told that this training is just the start of a long all the dog's life training program. I would hope any self-respecting trainer would inform owners about the life long program of training their dogs.

I liked the movie, I liked Marley and I think owner and Marley both were very lucky that Marley lived to become a senior dog because it was luck only that got the dog through some of the very funny but totally stupid adventures. The author had the same rights etc that all dog's owners do to take care of his dog in a proper manner. I really don't care about his "crazy life" I'm gonna stick with my 1st post and say that if I was a potential dog owner and saw this particular movie and the destruction of the home/furniture etc that this dog did while very funny in a movie, would move me to a totally different breed. This is just the way I looked at the movie and real everyday life.

·
Registered
286 Posts
You need to have a crate and know how to use it. Someone needs to exercise the dog a lot, at LEAST an hour a day, plus a couple of walks per day optimally.

I take my Aussie pup out at least 3 times for catching and frisbee.

Socialization and behavior classes are a must.

Good luck.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I'm sorry, as a trainer I know there were many people that wanted a trained dog at that time(15 yrs ago)I know people 40 yrs ago. I have no idea where the idea that people now a days want a perfectly trained dog at 5 or 6 months of age come from either. I like to get pups from 4.5 months on up. The younger the better but all clients are told that this training is just the start of a long all the dog's life training program. I would hope any self-respecting trainer would inform owners about the life long program of training their dogs.

I liked the movie, I liked Marley and I think owner and Marley both were very lucky that Marley lived to become a senior dog because it was luck only that got the dog through some of the very funny but totally stupid adventures. The author had the same rights etc that all dog's owners do to take care of his dog in a proper manner. I really don't care about his "crazy life" I'm gonna stick with my 1st post and say that if I was a potential dog owner and saw this particular movie and the destruction of the home/furniture etc that this dog did while very funny in a movie, would move me to a totally different breed. This is just the way I looked at the movie and real everyday life.
I guess as a trainer you would know more than I ( I do respect good trainers ) From the area I have lived in all my life back then training wasn't a big thing and most farmers is my area well lets just say their "training" was extremely harsh and of course I'm sure there are still people who train that way. I do think though that alot of people expect their pups to be so well behaved at such an early age and forget that they still are puppies, I'm guilty of this as well;)

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I guess as a trainer you would know more than I ( I do respect good trainers ) From the area I have lived in all my life back then training wasn't a big thing and most farmers is my area well lets just say their "training" was extremely harsh and of course I'm sure there are still people who train that way. I do think though that alot of people expect their pups to be so well behaved at such an early age and forget that they still are puppies, I'm guilty of this as well;)
Yes but let's look at it this way, the very fact that you think like you do does give you a step up in the dog world. I understand the farmer program as to a lot of them dogs are just stock and actually unless they are working dogs not very high up on the totem pole. The sneaky part about well trained pups is that occasionally a pup will have a great day and does everything you would ask from a pup(long as you're not asking a whole bunch)but the other 364 days in that 1st year may not be the same. Obviously the more proper age oriented work that is done to pup gradually them good days come more often.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts