Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone give frozen beef ribs as a treat?
Also, as I noticed beef bones are a tad tougher and thus last longer. Do you allow your dog to keep/later on chew the rib bones?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I've never given them frozen. I buy them fresh and split the rack between my 3 dogs, so they don't have time to be frozen. I let them keep the bones and chew on them until they get too small, or if it's been so long I think they're too brittle.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never given them frozen. I buy them fresh and split the rack between my 3 dogs, so they don't have time to be frozen. I let them keep the bones and chew on them until they get too small, or if it's been so long I think they're too brittle.
Well these ribs are used to clean her teeth or to keep her busy when we leave.
So I'm using the freezer to keep them lasting longer.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Yep! All the time. I will give each dog a frozen beef rib since they can power through a thawed one in no time at all, and I'd prefer they have to work to get the meat off. I take the ribs away from them where then is no more meat on it and they have gnawed off some of the bone so their teeth have had a chance to get a bit of a scraping. I used to let them keep the bones until they were knawed to bits, but two of them broke teeth (NOT on the rib bones) so I don't allow them to hang onto hard chews for long. The Shiba can have them for as long as he likes (and the weather permits), he is not a power chewer like the other two.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I have given them these not completely thawed. By the time they are 5 minutes in they are. I only allow them to get the meat off the bone and chew it for a short time. I am leery of broken teeth.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts