Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From what age are dogs able to keep it in .. the whole night.

When I got my two Rough Collie pups they were perfectly house broken. They would sleep inside and if they needed to.. they would go outside (open sliding door) and do their thing outside.

now ive relocated and its more difficult to just leave the door open. The house is about 3 times the size and I would like them to sleep inside with us in the bedroom instead of where they are now ( Laundry room with a courtyard)

They cope perfectly well inside. But ive attempted to have them sleep inside, but they just cant seem to hold it from about 10pm when i take them outside to atleast 5-6am.

around 1-2am they get restless and do their thing .. in the room.

they were never crated as puppies. They were confined up to about 2 1/2 months but from then on they had free roam of the house .. but they did their thing outside with the "wee" command.

They currently still respond to that.. but they dont seem to be able to keep it in for the evening ..

I dont have access to crates.

·
Registered
6,075 Posts
how about installing a doggy door? Even if you are renting they have some that install in the sliding doors.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
doggy door could work, but Id like them inside and then relieve themself when I wake up for work.

They are about 4 months, closer to 5 id say.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I think I've heard people say one hour for every age in months. So a 7 month old dog should be able to go 7 hours. Casey could hold it overnight by about 6 months old...of course some nights even now he wakes us up to go outside in the middle of the night, but it's because he wants to go outside and sleep, not go potty!:p We crate trained him (he doesn't sleep in crate anymore)...

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I really think it can vary from dog to dog; I have had some in the past years who, even beyond 6 months, couldn't hold it all night. And then I have had some who from the time they were 4 months old were able to hold it all night.

My current puppy was one of those who, by 4 months wouldn't even wake up when I got up to take him up halfway through the night...so I would let him sleep, figuring if he needed to go, he would definitely let me know. Well he wouldn't wake up, and when I got up in the morning, I would still often have to wake him up; he'd just look at me and yawn...lazy bones! My boy is crate trained...

I think, if you are indeed renting, you need to invest in some crates, or borrow some, until these dogs are trained; as a fellow renter I know that when puppies are brought into a home, rental owners can be suspicious in the first place...all those messes aren't going to be a positive impact for the next person with pets, if you don't get a handle on it now.

If they are waking up at 1-2 am, you could also just let them out quickly. Eventually that in itself will stop, as they age.

Take up all their food and water by 8 pm, and let them out just before you go to bed (as you probably are), and watch to ensure they are actually going.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, my puppy started sleeping through the night (8 hours) at 8 1/2 weeks old. He didn't all on his own, we didn't make him "cry it out" or anything like that. And he's being crate-trained, which helps A LOT in teaching them to hold it IMO. :)

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
I also think it depends on the dog as well. Or should I say pup, lol. My Sonny can't make it through the night either, and he's about 8 months. I have to get up between 3-5am to let him out for potty, or he goes in his crate. He's getting better at making noise in the crate to let me know. But as for during the day, he doesn't let me know at all, just goes, lol. As long as I take him out regularly, I usually don't have any issues.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It is too bad you don't have crates, because they would be the ideal tool here. Ask you r friends, maybe one has a crate you can borrow while you housebreak the pups. Just start getting up in the middle of the night and take them out. Try all night when they are about 6 months. Whether or not they can do it does depend on the dog. I had a rottie bitch who could hold it all night at 10 weeks. I now have a 5 month old beagle that just started making it all night in the crate. If I leave her out she potties in the house.

·
Registered
964 Posts
My dog has been in a crate since we brought her home in early February. Sometimes I think the two dogs hear each other. The older dog either sleeps with us or our daughter. Lately we have had our windows open so I think they hear things out there also. The pup has only gone once in her crate. She just starts barking when she has to go.

·
Registered
8 Posts
They will be fine. In mant cases of potty training, you can supply their water in the same way you control their food. That way you can predict when they will want to potty.

·
Registered
442 Posts
At 4 months your still in that iffy zone. Just before turning 6 months old , I got relief from the nightly " get outta bed's " :D.

For the last month and a half my dude has been fine , he goes to bed early and wakes up EARLY :eek:. I let him out around 6 am to do his thing . He is super at holding too , sometimes its a long pee . :)

They are about 4 months, closer to 5 id say.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts