Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my new dog, mix of who knows what, but she's the strongest 50lbs dog I have ever worked with, I've been a trainer and volunteered at the Humane Society for years and have worked with powerful dogs, but this girl...anyway, she literally drug me on my face tonight, may have really damaged my knee and I was even braced for it, and I am not a small woman.

I'm looking for something sturdy and preferably adjustable in more than one direction . I will not put a prong on her but I need to control her until I can get her trained. Thank yo

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
While I WOULD put a prong collar on this dog (I put on e on every dog I have during training whether I use it or not), I would not use it for pulling. I also would not use a front attach harness.

I would put a fursaver on this dog but not on the Live (choking) ring. I would dead ring it (and you can adjust the length so the dog cannot slip it by doubling up links etc.). Then I would have a very hungry dog and do the "crazy' walk. As the dog rushes ahead or to the side, I would reverse direction BEFORE she hits the end of the leash. When she refocuses on you mark it and reward it with food.

You won't walk very far. It is likely you may not go 25 feet and may stay in a 25'x25' area (or smaller) at first.. and maybe for quite awhile. Eventually the dog will decide to pay attention to you....

·
Registered
549 Posts
I got Chai harness from Amazon for mine. I really like it. It does minimize the pulling but mostly she's not choking herself. My female is very leash reactive though so I really needed something to help me handle her (it comes with a handle on the back too). It does involve putting it over the dog's head though, we had to get her used to that with treats, but it doesn't block her shoulders movement, which was important to me.

Good luck with leash training, it's definitely always been the worst for me (but again, two out of my four had been reactive dogs :().

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I would hold strong in your resolve to not put a prong collar on the dog, unless you do so under the supervision of a professional trainer. Even if you have experience training dogs, there is a lot that can go wrong with prongs if you aren't seasoned with using them, including but not limited to serious injury and creating even deeper behavioral issues. Same goes for an E collar.

I got a harness on amazon for my dog that's very similar to Ruffwear but only cost me $20. It has clips on the back and front for the leash. Have been using it for about a month now and it's been holding up great to a lot of hiking, although my dog isn't a puller. I believe the brand is TrueLove, I don't have it with me right now. I purchased this harness in particular because I needed one that is adjustable in both the neck and chest - many are only adjustable in the chest.

As you may be aware, a front attaching harness is a good "band aid" and quick fix so that you can continue to take your dog for walks, but you'll want to address the main issue of pulling by working actively on loose leash walking.

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
The way I taught my puller not to pull was to take the leash out of the equation altogether for a while. She was so accustomed to pulling that you'd clip the leash on and it was off to the races right away, brain disengaged. Instead, we worked on heel off-leash (in an enclosed area, of course) starting in a low distraction environment and working up to higher distraction environments. Then when I reintroduced the leash if she started pulling again I had a working command to stop the undesirable behavior.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you for your replies. I just got her yesterday so we haven't really started training much. She does really well on a leash when no one is around, we I walked her when I didn't expect anyone else to be out.
I was a professional trainer for 3 years and only allowed one dog to have a prong on , a 70lb doberman with a 120 owner. There's a few reasons I won't use one on her, the main one being that she does not respond to physical pressure, just to get past her you have to shove her out of the way if you can out muscle her, so that's one of the first things we'll be working on. The front attache harness is a management tool until I can reliably get her to respond.

FB_IMG_1546984378589.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts