Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've had our 3 year old, Bichon-Poo girl, for 2.5 years. She is potty trained, very well. The whole 2.5 years we've had her, we lived in an apartment... So, we took her for walks to get her to potty. We JUST (this last weekend) moved into a house, with a private back yard and a dog door. She LOVES the yard, and uses the dog door regularly.

Our problem is that she doesn't seem to want to potty in the yard! She has gone tinkle in the yard... But, won't make dooks in the yard. Because she's so well potty trained, she doesn't go in the house, either. I've taken her to the dog park, a few times, since we've lived here... And, she'll do her business there. I even gone as far as to take one of her dooks from the park, and put it in our yard... Making sure she's seen and smelled that it's there... Hoping that would encourage her to go. We can't take her to the dog park, all the time. We're worried that she'll get sick if she doesn't start going, soon!

PLEASE HELP!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
If your dog is accustomed to pooping on concrete and/or blacktop, she will not be comfortable going on grass. The opposite is also true. She will get used to the new surface in time, or you could lay down a 6'x6' pad of asphalt or concrete for her, and pick up after her. Your backyard will thank you for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She is used to going in the grass... And, our new place (her backyard) has an 11'X38' patch of grass for her to do her business. Plus, if she was so inclined, there's plenty of concrete and desert landscaping (rocks & gravel) for her to go in, too.

·
Registered
4,574 Posts
Are you still walking your little girl? Even though you've got a yard, running about in that environment will never be as stimulating or as challenging as exploring the neighborhood!

Perhaps it is the walking with which she associates pooping. Have you tried putting the leash on her and walking her around the back yard in exactly the same manner in which you walk her around the neighborhood?

·
Banned
1,628 Posts
She may see the lawn as just more of her new den. I suggest walking her around in it until she finally goes. Then lavish praise on her.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
A healthy dog will have to go eventually. As the yard accumulates some of her scent, she will start to view it as her place to go. Certain dogs will just not go in (what they view as) an unsuitable place, until it's a 4 alarm emergency.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks. I just hope she goes SOON! It's been over 48 hours since she last pooped. Shockingly, her appetite has remained the same.

Now that I think about it, she would go half of the time while we walked around our apartment complex... The other half of the time, off the leash, at the dog park.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
She will go. Yoshi WILL NOT potty out of his yard. Not even at the dog park, he waits until we get home. When we had to come to Kansas he didn't pee for 18 hours, we had to drive to our rental in the nite since we didn't have the key and let him in the yard. He didn't poop for 48 hours. We had to stand outside and keep telling him to "GO POTTY". Once he did it, it was no issue since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sure hope she goes soon... And, there's no more issues after that. Feels like I've told her "GO POTTY" so much, my throat's dry. Although I feel bad for holding out, and forcing her to go here... I want her to learn that it's okay.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts