Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm REALLY hoping to teach Jackson how to catch one in mid-air this summer.

He's really developed a great drive for the frisbee over the past year. For the first year of his life, he wouldn't even really play fetch. So I had to teach him how fun THAT was (his favorites are Orbee balls). He'll play out back or in the house for a while down our long hallway, but I still can't get him too interested in fetching other places (i.e. the park, or anywhere with a lot of smells and more interesting things going on).

But now, I have these little plastic discs from Petco (that are all pretty beaten up and chewed, so need new ones) and I LOVE when I see him just sooo excited when I pull them out. I'm just so thrilled to see him with so much drive for them. We get outside, he's on a long line that I let him drag, and he's jumping up and down focused on the frisbees when I am holding them.

And he's chasing them longer than ever lately. He used to get bored with it after about 10 minutes - now he's usually going for 15-20 (and often uphill) and just loving chasing after them. Occasionally I have to give him the reminder to bring it all the way back with a slight tug on the leash, because sometimes he stops mid-way and begins to chew on the disc (he has a thing for plastic).

As a reward for bringing it back, I've been using one of the chewed up ones as a tug toy. Which, again, I LOVE seeing his drive and how strong he's pulling as this is not a dog who is normally motivated or into tug or toys (he's a food mongrel).

So basically, right now, I can throw it directly at him from 1-2ft away and he can catch it. But HOW can I keep him to run and actually CATCH it from up in the air. He does mostly follow it with his eyes, but he lets it drop on the ground first.

Any other frisbee dog owners wanna chime in?

Also, any one know of a good site off hand where I can purchase small frisbees for a good price, that are good quality? He does like to chew the plastic frisbees, so even though I stop him, sometimes he takes a chomp before I can get to him. And he's not very interested in any kind of rubber or flexi-type frisbee.
Was looking at the small-dog discs from https://skyhoundz.com/

·
Registered
7 Posts
I taught my old dog how to play fetch with tennis balls but after a while he started catching anything I would throw up to him. He eventually just started tracking freebees in the air.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Holly i swear i didn't have to teach her how to play fetch, first it was a ball, then i moved onto a frisbee without me even telling her what to do, she fetches and catches it in the air, she will fetch anything, i swear she was born to play fetch, probably from day one!, Holly has a few frisbee's but none of them are really that little, she also has a frisbee thrower, which by the way is rubbish, the frisbee that came with it doesn't even fit in it!.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I used to compete one of my border collies in frisbee competitions !1 The hardest part is actually learning how to throw the frisbee correctly so the dog can catch it. You start tossign it in the air a couple of feet and when he catches it finally you just keep moving further away. In comps release is very important. You have a 50 foot field and 60 seconds to get in as many throws and retrievals as you can. One point for each 10 feet out he catches it ( 2 points for 20 ft etc ) and a half a point if he catches it with all 4 paws in the air. You want to throw the frisbee low and evenly , the dog cant catch it if its at an angle in the air . DONT let your dog jump to high, easy to get injured that way. I never had to but you can reward with treats for catching and releasing.

http://www.muni.org/departments/parks/pages/frisbee.aspx I just looked and the champs are this weekend in anchorage, that sight also has pics from previous years .

https://skyhoundz.com/ found the site that is GREAT on training tips and even where to buy frisbees

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I am not looking to ever compete - just want him to catch a disc in the air, hehe.

He can easily catch things (including balls and frisbees) that I throw directly AT him, but I just can't figure out how to get him to catch something that's been up in the air with a far distance from me. He will get to it in time but then let it drop on the ground first before catching.

Here's a photo of him jumping up to catch a ball - so I know he's got it in him SOMEWHERE!

·
Registered
591 Posts
the link to the skyhoundz website has great instructions on how to train them to catch the frisbee and also tips on how to throw so they can catch it. Even if you dont plan on ever competing they have great information on that site .they also have a online store for frisbees with help on choosing the right one .

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the link to the skyhoundz website has great instructions on how to train them to catch the frisbee and also tips on how to throw so they can catch it. Even if you dont plan on ever competing they have great information on that site .they also have a online store for frisbees with help on choosing the right one .
Great, thanks! I had seen the site with the stuff for sale, but never looked at any instructions stuff - I will take a peek!

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Holly i swear i didn't have to teach her how to play fetch, first it was a ball, then i moved onto a frisbee without me even telling her what to do, she fetches and catches it in the air, she will fetch anything, i swear she was born to play fetch, probably from day one!, Holly has a few frisbee's but none of them are really that little, she also has a frisbee thrower, which by the way is rubbish, the frisbee that came with it doesn't even fit in it!.
That was Skyler too. At 11weeks he brought me a ball in the kitchen, I rolled it the other room to get him elsewhere. Nope, brought it back & dropped it my feet. Nthen we showed him a frisbee, balls are rarely given as much as a sniff. He came per wired with a frisbee fetish.

·
Registered
259 Posts
OOOoooooh Jax and I are still a long ways from catch. He, too, has been a slow go in getting him to start playing catch, especially outside of the house. He's gotten to where he'll bring me a tennis ball when I'm on the couch, and sit and wait for me to get it and toss it towards the kitchen, and has definitely improved in letting me have it back afterward, but outside the house? Especially at the park? He's no good. Maybe a few throws, maybe a few minutes of fetch with a stick, but quickly decides he'd rather just play with the frisbee/toy/stick. Definitely reading through the responses on here for suggestions and help! Lol

·
Registered
591 Posts
Well when I got my first border collie, SirBudWeissert, he LOVED to fetch. I bought him his first little frisbee and it came with some basic training instructions and he picked it up fast. When he was 7 months old I heard of a competition and we went just to watch and when people saw us playing we were talked into competing. WE HAD A BLAST and he placed like 10th that year. He was even on animal planet tv once, a clip of him at a competition. Anyway whether you are wanting to compete or just play that is a great site to look around.... HAVE FUN !!

oh yea and I got so good at throwing frisbee I now belong to a frisbee golf team

·
Registered
591 Posts
This is just for laughs ....... One year my bc Bud was competing in the finals in Anchorage .... he was way ahead going into the finals and we were almost done competing, he had one throw left to catch and retrieve... I tossed the frisbee..perfect throw...Bud catches the disc in mid air ... all 4 feet off the ground..with a twist and begins to run back to me when suddenly he freezes......... looks at me and in front of hundreds of cheering people my dog has to make a poo.!!! I was HORRIFIED !! Well he didnt win that year, he fell back into 6th place but it sure was a year to remember !!

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is just for laughs ....... One year my bc Bud was competing in the finals in Anchorage .... he was way ahead going into the finals and we were almost done competing, he had one throw left to catch and retrieve... I tossed the frisbee..perfect throw...Bud catches the disc in mid air ... all 4 feet off the ground..with a twist and begins to run back to me when suddenly he freezes......... looks at me and in front of hundreds of cheering people my dog has to make a poo.!!! I was HORRIFIED !! Well he didnt win that year, he fell back into 6th place but it sure was a year to remember !!
LOL!!! That's awesome.

We're still working on frisbee. He definitely highly enjoys playing now, but still going to work on catching in the air!

Thanks for the advice. :)

I am also going to place an order on skyhoundz.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hyperflight discs are great (the ones from Skyhoundz). Another good option are Hero discs. Good luck! And a little inspiration:
AWESOME picture! Jackson can already jump on my back - it's his favorite trick. So I hope to one day have him hop off my back for a disc!

Btw, I can't find any small-dog sized Hero discs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts