Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
So I was wondering if any of you dog owners, trainers etc. have any tips or advice on Frisbee Training young adult dogs.

I am looking into it as a way to give my border collie/husky mix exercise (I appoligise if I spelled that wrong) and as a fun thing for her and I to do in our huge amount of spare time during both the summer and winter. She is around 7 months old at the moment and is a very quick/eager learner.

I have done as much research as I can and was just curious as to what other people suggest.

Thanks for reading! ^-^

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Disc can be a ton of fun!

7 months is too young to be doing any jumping for the disc. However, you can build drive for the disc at this age. Roll a disc along the ground - does she chase it?

Something else you can do at this age is teach a good retrieve. This can even be done inside with objects that don't fly or don't have any value to the dog. You can add value to the action of retrieving by offering a food reward for a successful retrieve.

When the dog is completely enamored with the disc, try luring the dog around you as you turn in a tight circle, and then toss the disc. The reason for luring around you is to line up the dog so they're going the right way and not looking behind themself for the disc. Try for a SHORT (like 10ft), LEVEL throw, and NOT TOO HIGH. Again, the dog is too young to be jumping.

Also look into some soft discs, which are gentler on a dog's mouth, just until they figure out that the game is way fun! I love Ruffwear's canvas/cardboard disc (hold up better than it sounds), but there are other great floppy discs, including some made of rubber.

Here are a few pics for you. Kit competes in distance/accuracy and freestyle competitions each summer.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Awesome photos!!!

I took a class and just couldn't get coordinated enough to throw safely for my dog! I hate being the weak link!

I am impressed and jealous!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@GottaLuvMutts, First off thank you for the advice. I'll be sure to give it a try. Secondly, Kit is absolutly gorgeous! Just thought I'd throw that out there :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I've found stuffy frisbees at the dollar store that work well for training if your dog is like mine and isn't into anything hard. Right now I'm working on drive and just having fun with the frisbee because we can't do much more inside the house.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts