Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends bitch likes seems to like me and loves the attention, she comes up to me and lifts her paw up to me as if to say to hold it, lets me stroke her etc yet she will still curl her lip up showing her teeth unless I stop looking at her, if I don't she will then start to snarl and eventually snap.
I have tried to ignore her when she does it and not stare into her eyes but she will still do it yet she seeks my attention at the same time.
Her owner will tell her off when she does it and she backs away, she has never shown aggression to her owner and is very protective so one can understand her doing this to protect them but the other seems puzzling when she has come to the other side of the room to me for attention?
Has anyone got any ideas to stop this?

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Ignore the dog altogether when you visit. Do not pet the dog. Do not look at the dog. If the dog pesters you for attention do not respond or pet or look at the dog. If the dog acts out ask your friend to put the dog up.

·
Registered
753 Posts
The dog sounds conflicted, anxious & uncertain. The paw lift is most likely a sign of this, not a request to hold it. She's telling you that the type of attention you're giving her isn't welcome or appreciated, but she wants to get a bit closer to gather information about you. Let her approach & sniff you but do NOT look at, reach out towards or touch her. Just let her do her own thing. Then, toss a treat away from you so she gets to move away & create space/distance. If she approaches again, rinse & repeat.

Perhaps in the future, after many repetitions of this, she will be comfortable & actually allow you to touch/pet her. Watch for softer, looser body language (I'm betting she's pretty tense when she comes near you right now) and when/if you do think she's seeking to be touched, stroke her chest (not head) for 1 - 2 seconds and then immediately stop & toss the treat away. Let her decide whether or not to return.

And don't 'tell her off' for expressing her discomfort. All that will lead to is her suppressing her 'warning' signals and she might just go straight for the snap/bite.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts