Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My friends dog and my dog interacted for about a day a few days ago. My dog is just a puppy still and when she first met my friends dog, she kept jumping on her and sniffing her and trying to nip her on the underside (my dog is also a female). I'm not sure if this was trying to get dominance or what. The other dog is a lab (2 years old) and my dog is a beagle/collie mix (6 months). The other dog is very sweet and not very aggressive but when my dog came to play with her, she was overly 'aggressive?' in the sense that my dog kept harassing the other dog so that the other dog would have to bark to get my dog to 'go down.' Eventually this kinda stopped after a few hours (probably cuz they got tired of each other) but I noticed that my dog would also follow her dog around and the other dog would scurry away when my dog followed.

A few things I noticed that concerned me initially, when we were sharing treats, my dog nipped the other dog on the nose when she was about to get a treat, it didn't draw blood but my dog and her dog got pretty pissed at each other. It seems my dog has food possession habits, I dunno.

My dog also had issues with sharing her chew toy since the other dog liked the chew toy, so toy aggression perhaps?

I also noticed that my dog had 3 accidents while at the house in the course of 12 hours, even though we had took her out to pee like 2 hours before, so that was a bit disconcerting.

Questions:
A few days later, she noted to me that her dog isn't eating much or has to be 'coaxed' into eating which has never happened. I don't understand why this has happened, do any of you guys know why?

Besides that, I was wondering when my dog is interacting with another dog if I should restrain her from 'jumping' on the other dog? I was told that she's just interacting and they're playing but I have a feeling it's more of an aggressive stance. What are your thoughts? She just likes to jump on the other dog and nip at the underside, it seems kinda like playing cuz they are both wagging their tails but it seems kinda hostile or aggressive too?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
From your description, both dogs were highly stressed and overwhelmed...forced interaction.

Sharing is a human concept which dogs don't understand but, they can and should respect the ownership of food or toys. That's part of the socialization training along with resource guarding training that you do.

It sounds like you're not sure if they're playing or not. Good play is almost always started with playbows. The dogs will do role reversals (chaser/chasee, on top then on bottom, bouncy, bouncy body movements). The dogs will respect another dogs desire to not play and will recognize a shy or fearful dog and will be very cautious/interact slowly and carefully.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts