Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my first post here. My wife and I have a new puppy, he's a lab and basset hound mix that we adopted from the Humane Society. We've had him for 6 weeks and he's been doing really great. He's 5 months old and was neutered when we got him. He's really friendly towards every human he's encountered, and overall, just happy-go-lucky as you'd expect from a puppy. I take him for walks at the park and when we see other dogs, he's curious to go say hi, but he doesn't have all his shots and I have not allowed him to actually come into contact with another dog. Tomorrow he gets his last round of shots.

On Saturday we have friends coming to visit with their 2 year old son and 10 year old female dog. I don't know what breed she is, but she's smallish, maybe 25 pounds at most, so not much bigger than Pork Chop. I've known her for years and she's really sweet and mellow. She does well with people and dogs. She's been to our home a few times and makes herself at home.

So my question is, how to handle the introduction to minimize any chance of conflict? I have no reason to believe these dogs won't get along, but it will be Pork Chop's first extended interaction with another dog that I will have witnessed. Add a toddler into the mix, and an extended visit where we'll be having dinner and hanging out all night, I just want to do everything possible to make it positive for him and our guests.

Normally when I see the friend's dog, I make a big deal over her and pet her often throughout the visit, should I not do that? When they first arrive, what's the best way to handle the introduction? Have the guest dog come around to the back yard, let them sniff each other and get acquainted before I let the two of them inside?

Pork Chop has just started to get more vocal and I've read that at this age he's entering his "teenage" phase and will be more prone to being territorial. I work from home and he's with me all day, so I'm especially concerned he could get resentful if I'm nice to the other dog. Appreciate any advice, even if it's to point me to a thread where this has been covered. TIA

·
Registered
72 Posts
I think most puppies are very excited to see another dog, and should be fine, except maybe overly hyper! My 14 week old puppy just started submissive peeing when she meets a dog, so watch out for that! Hopefully the older dog will tolerate the puppy craziness. Use your crate, we just had visitors with a kid who was terrified of our jumpy puppy and she just had to stay in her crate a lot while they were here. I personally wouldn't worry about the dog being "jealous" or territorial, but maybe my pup is just goofy that way. Good luck!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Exercise the puppy first to take the edge off, then introduce them out on the street with a short walk before bringing them onto your property and inside.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Walk the puppy first, and then have your friend bring the other dog around to walk with the puppy- don't start the walk at your house, meet them at the park or a few blocks away on a sidewalk. Walk them together (near each other, maybe 4-5 feet apart) and keep them moving forward for several blocks. Then let them take turns sniffing at each other and keep walking a few more blocks. then you can head back to the house and if you have a fenced yard, drop the leashes and let the dogs interact a little (supervised of course).

While your friends are visiting, some general tips are:
Don't give a treat to one dog and not the other if they are within sight of each other. Give chew treats and meals separately (in crates or in different rooms) so neither dog has any reason to guard their treats.
Don't leave the dogs alone together at all. Even a very friendly 5 month old pup is rambunctious and could easily annoy a 10 year old dog until the older dog nips at him or generally gets fed up. And rough and tumble play could end up with a dog tumbling into a TV, coffee table, lamp etc.
Nothing wrong with leaving a harness and leash on your pup for most of the day. Tug him back if he gets too annoying on the other dog.
Carefully supervise your pup with the toddler. Hopefully the toddler knows how to pet a dog nicely and not to grab tails or ears but a kid can fall on a dog and the dog snap at the kid for that, grab a treat away from the dog and the dog snap at the kid etc.
It is good for Pork Chop to see you interacting with the other dog and paying attention to her, he will have to learn that he can't always be the center of attention. But I wouldn't overdo it by making a big deal of it, just pet her when you want to and play with them both, make it seem like a very normal part of the day.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I agree with Shell.
1. Watch/monitor the puppy and toddler. A 10 yo dog has a much different energy level than a 5 mos Lab mix. The toddler may think that a bouncing puppy is fun at first. PorkChop may decide that the toddler is a playmate, so start jumping and nipping. Clam him if he jumps or nips once.
2. Ditto with the 10 yo. Lab pups can be a pest. The 10 yo may snark him. If she growls and snaps, that is appropriate. If she nips him or chases him down, that's too much, and you want to supervise or separate. If she is gentle or even if she snarks, the Lab mix may quickly learn that he isn't hurt, and keep pestering her. If she can't keep him away after a few snarks, you'll have to save her from him, separating them.
3. Or this may be a wash, and they will play just fine....

Got pork chop pix?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts