Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. My good friend's dog Byrdie (my dog's littermate) was bitten by a snake this morning. They are not sure what kind of snake, but considering our area they think it was a copperhead. She was bit on the paw and her paw is extremely swollen. They are at the emergency vet now. Please keep Byrdie in your prayers.

Attachments

·
Registered
146 Posts
The pupper is in my prayers!

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Poor Byrdie :( I sure hope everything will be OK!
Those nasty copperheads! Haven't heard anything about them the past many years, but as a child we would see 1 once in awhile when we'd spend time up at the river - scary!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
he should be okay. I've had a dog get bit by a copperhead on the muzzle. Have had a cat and a goat get bit.

All survived just fine. We have them everywhere out here.

·
Registered
4,355 Posts
how's Byrdie doing? hoping things are good that way.....

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
Good thoughts your way. Hopefully nothing bad will happen. Myself and friends have had dogs bit by snakes with good outcomes. They are very resilient and it seems that while it can cause issues with dogs the venom is less toxic to them. Sometimes there was very bad swelling though.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey everyone. I'll tell you what I know. Byrdie's paw was very swollen. They had to open it up to relieve the pressure and prevent further tissue damage. They gave her antibiotics, anti-venom, and pain meds. She is home now. They have to keep her paw very clean. They said the skin may begin to slough off within the next 6 days. Hopefully if the wound can stay clean she will be able to keep her foot. Quite a bit of tissue damage though.

She's got a long road ahead of her. She is young so hopefully she'll heal quickly without infection.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts