Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Friendly Reminder!

2K views 26 replies 19 participants last post by  Corteo 
#1 ·
The Sable Moose and I hit the road in just under 8 hours to pick up our first major! Wish us luck and pray like mad!

#16 ·
*sighs*

So here's the gist...Justin got dumped.

We were in an open class of 6 or 7, had some really nice dogs in there. Kent Boyles and Diane Brown were also in there x.x (Kent trained under Jimmy Moses for those of you who know what I'm talking about).

I WON my Open class, much to my surprise. I beat out two people with really nice dogs who have been doing this for 20+ years, and I beat 6 black and tans with a sable dog. Nice win.

We get into Winner's Dog, and I figure basically it's going to be between myself and Kent's Ambred male...the judge gives Winner's Dog to an Amateur Owner Handler (or Novice dog) who is short in body, long in leg (aka disproportionate), lacked bone, and was bitchy in the head.

Winner's Bitch....was the same style as Justin, just a bitch in black and tan. She then went BOB/G1 (herding judge was our breed judge).

I'm not even mad..upset yes, but not mad...just extremely confused. Diane said there is NO way I could have showed him better, and everybody thought that I had Winner's Dog and Kent would go Reserve to me. Justin didn't even get Reserve....Kent's Ambred dog did.

I'm not upset with Justin, he showed his heart out and gaited like he'd never gaited before....beautiful and effortless with personality oozing out the ears.

There will be more majors, and he'll get them, I just don't understand why today wasn't his day, and the judge picked the exact opposite for WD than she'd picked in the other classes.

#17 ·
Sorry to hear it Xeph but as you know, that is dog shows. Some days it is your day, and some it is someone else's. Hang in there and keep up the good work. Your day will come.:D

#19 ·
Oh there will be other shows. Don't get bogged down. Sounds like this judge didn't really know what she was looking for in the first place. It's not a reflection on your dog.

I've been there myself, and been in a situation where I was pretty sure I was handling one of the nicer dogs in the class I was in, and a dog that I thought had no chance ended up taking it. His coat wasn't as nice, he was thinner in bone, and his back was too short for my liking.

Everyone was surprised by that one. Just don't give up. your boy will have his day!

#20 ·
I won't give up, and I'm certainly not discouraged. More than anything I'm confused....I AM upset with how she treated a junior though :-/

#23 ·
These things happen, Xeph. Sorry they didn't turn out as planned. I guess that's how it is; win some, lose some. At least Justin was out there, you were out there, getting seen, getting practise... so it wasn't a fruitless day.

Move forward with all the more resolve and keep working hard so next time the winner will be so obvious, the judge will have no choice!

We are all proud of you and Justin :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.