Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a friend whose 9-month-old blue heeler (neutered male) bit someone for the second time. This time it was a "bad bite", "totally out of the blue", so the dog will be put down shortly. My friend said "I've looked into rescue organizations, but no one will take a dog once it has bitten a person."

Does anyone know of a blue heeler/ acd rescue organization that might take this dog in? I'm going to research it right now, but if someone has direct experience with a particular rescue organization I'd appreciate a lead. Thank you.

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Most rescues will not take a dog that has a bite history. The dog is a liability.

Most dogs do not bite "out of the blue" but have given warnings which we, as humans, miss. Dogs cannot express their displeasure in words and have a threshold which, when crossed, results in a bite.

If the person bitten, or the courts, have not required the dog be PTS, and the owner wants to save the dog, a complete blood panel and vet visit MAY show a physical problem and reason for the biting. That reason may of may not have a solution other than PTS.

If not, then finding the behavioral REASON (trigger) for the biting is worthwhile in that whatever mistake was made with this dog not be repeated with the next dog.. if there even is a next dog. Knowing why a dog bites is the first step in prevention. Biting tends to escalate as you have seen in this dog.

I am sorry this is happening.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Hearing from experienced people that it would be hard to find a place to take the dog in makes it a lot more acceptable to see him put to sleep. I just did not want to see him put to sleep based on a general impression that there's no place for him to go.

I do hope that people will learn what they should from this situation. Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts