Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys does anyone here have a french bulldog? I'm very interested in having one and have done alot of research. I'm now looking to hear from other frenchie owners and looking for breeder references.

·
Banned
1 Posts
I have a french bulldog and she is the absolute easiest dog I've ever had. We got her from championpups.com. We actually picked her out from her picture and they sent her to us. When i think of how many things could have gone wrong.... but she's a great dog! I'd get another from them if I could.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
How old is your bulldog? If she's still young, there's lots of time for tons of things to go wrong. ;)

From that site:

We only breed our females 2 times.
This way we have excellent bloodlines with no health problems.
These two things are not related in any way. If a female bulldog carries a gene for a disorder, it won't matter if she's bred twice or twenty times; she is passing that on to her pups. If a dog has been properly screened for genetic disorders and doesn't carry for any, it won't matter if she's bred five times in her life; it won't make her fifth litter any more likely to be unhealthy!

Also, no good breeder would let someone they had never met choose a puppy based on its picture alone. What kind of health guarantee did they give you? How many years do they guarantee the pup won't develop any hereditary defects?

Edit: Ah, one year, I see. Useless. Most issues don't crop up until a pup is over one year old. Also, according to that warranty, if your pup develops a problem during that first year, you can only get a replacement puppy (no refund) and you MUST send your original puppy back to get that replacement. Not a good contract.

(They also don't require you to spay/neuter, by the way -- they just tell you to get your vet to inform you if the puppy they sold you is show/breeding quality -- so they obviously don't care about protecting their lines.)

And I hope you don't mind if they ship you an unhealthy pup:

Any condition that is minor, correctable or a breed
related minor condition (for example Cherry Eye, Entropion, skin allergies,illness of
skin is not covered and no condition which could go away, or is considered to be a
condition which a puppy will likely grow out of is covered.

This guarantee does not cover illness of a skin (ringworm or any kind of mange),
because French and English bulldogs have very sensitive skin.
OP, as you have done a ton of research, I'm sure you know much more than I do about Frenchies and the health issues that can crop up, and that you'd never buy from a place like that! I can't help with breeder refs, but we do have Frenchie owners on this board, so I'm sure someone can. :)

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Cant help, but I used to dog sit one, and he was the coolest small dog ever. Really fun little Guy! He was healthy but I don't know where he came from, his owner died, and the dog moved out of state.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I did some research when I was looking into Frenchies and I know that they're definitely a breed that you want to get from an ethical/reputable breeder (or from a rescue!). I've loved every French Bulldog I've ever met! They're such a happy, goofy breed. There are a few owners on the board here, hopefully they will see this thread.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I have a french bulldog and she is the absolute easiest dog I've ever had. We got her from championpups.com. We actually picked her out from her picture and they sent her to us. When i think of how many things could have gone wrong.... but she's a great dog! I'd get another from them if I could.

Those people are puppy millers and have no business breeding frenchies. They are breeding dogs that are not even recognized colors, they have awful health guarantees, they ship to people without even meeting them, they charge WAY TOO MUCH for what they are selling (horrible frenchies), and hey, if you pay more, you can breed the dog they sell you! Awesome! It's scum like that that makes me sick.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
I've been looking at that website some more, and it's kind of fantastically hilarious (but awful at the same time, because people are actually buying these dogs after reading stuff like this):

We feels that you should only breed a dog two times with a rest between litters. Doing this we feel that you are now buying a pup that has a champion in the top generation. This pup will look like the parents and also have a strong bloodline.
I don't think "champion" means what they think it means. And I can't figure out what they think happens if you use the same bitch more than twice in her life... that her subsequent litters somehow become lower and lower quality?

·
Registered
6,437 Posts
Those people are puppy millers and have no business breeding frenchies. They are breeding dogs that are not even recognized colors, they have awful health guarantees, they ship to people without even meeting them, they charge WAY TOO MUCH for what they are selling (horrible frenchies), and hey, if you pay more, you can breed the dog they sell you! Awesome! It's scum like that that makes me sick.
Ugh, agreed. I wouldn't touch them with a 5ft pole.

OP: They are great dogs, and I mean great. They are such little clowns its always fun. Yes they have their health issues, as all breeds do, but you stack your odd of a healthy dog in your favor by going to a good breeder who health tests their stock plus an added bonus of them actually doing something with their dogs.

If your going the breeder route, the best place to start is here, I don't know your location so I can't really recommend one.

http://frenchbulldogclub.org/about-frenchies/breeder-directory

Just looked at that website, and checked EBs, there "show quality" puppies are extremely overdone.

Actually I am starting to think those aren't there dogs, they say they are in Cali, yet they have win photos of dogs in europe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts