Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

My name is Jennifer and I am the owner of a wonderful, goofy, and friendly French Bulldog named Jack. He is 3 years old and yesterday he hurt himself trying to jump a wall that was holding up some ivy that he likes to go potty in. When he jumped up he yelped. Then went into shaking and panting last night. I just got home from a business trip and I could tell he was in pain so I gave him a baby asprin 81mg and he is a 30 lb Frenchie. Took him to the Vet and they gave me Tramadol and Carpferol. She said to wait to give him Carperfol for 72 hours, since its such a low dose I am wanting to know if I can give it to him earlier. The Vet is out till Monday and I would like to give it to him tomorrow if possible. What are you thoughts? Can't figure out how long it takes for Asprin to get out of his system.

I have never heard of IVDD before today and wasn't aware of this issue with Frenchies at all!!! When I researched this breed I found a lot of respiratory issues but not this. Unfortunately I did not get pet insurance and if he needs surgery its going to run $5k - $7k. I am looking to run a campaign & fundraiser and match every dollar donated.

I am looking to get some advice from other owners that had this experience or any help and advice you can give. Its been 24 hours since his injury, he is no longer shaking or in pain from what he seems... the pain meds seemed to have helped a lot. I have him crated because I wanted limited weight on his legs and don't want him walking around.

I need to get an MRI done which costs around $2k from there I need to figure out if we will go the steroid route or surgery depending on the amount of damage.

Please help!

Jennifer Furtado
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,518 Posts
A friend just had surgery done on her Peke/frenchie mix. This is what she learned. Both breeds according to the surgeons are at a high risk for IVDD. The surgeon told her they see a lot of frenchies come in to get this surgery. Now she knew that Pekes had a problem but not the Frenchies. Surgery has the greatest success if done early within 24 hours of the injury. Some do the steroid route while others say to do the NSAIDs instead. Each vet has their own opinion and success rates on what they have seen work for them. Weight is one thing you want to be strict on. Frenchies can have a weight problem so try to keep on the thinner side. No matter what route you take remember recovery time can be long and your dog may never get full function back. Your dog could have more damaged discs and it is just a matter of time those discs go too. You may also think about getting a cart for your pet. Some owners decide due to costs, length of recovery time, unable to get a 100% assurance the surgery will take, will decide to euthanize the dog. I have seen dogs whose owners basically have to do everything for them including emptying the bladder to dogs that have made a full recovery. I think it is up to the individual owner what they want to do. Good luck and sorry to read about your pup.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Top