Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By free I mean chicken and (preferably) no beef,and also grain free.I just found out that my dog had food allergies, and after comparing her current and past food, the only commonality I could find is chicken. Does anyone have any food like that which you can recommend that won't break the bank?

Jennifer

·
Registered
11,299 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank You! I appreciate your insight with food. There's so many to choose from, it's hard to know where to start. By break the bank I meant $64 for 4lbs of food which is too much for me right now.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Thank You! I appreciate your insight with food. There's so many to choose from, it's hard to know where to start. By break the bank I meant $64 for 4lbs of food which is too much for me right now.
$64 for 4 lbs!!! Yoinks, is that food lobster and caviar based? Seriously curious what food sells for that price in the US.

For dry kibble, my totally-made-up distinction of low, mid and higher priced is basically >$1/lb, $1-2.50/lb and >$2.50/lb for dry food. All the foods I linked should fall into that middle range at the major chain stores or chewy.com

If your budget can go for the higher tier at $3-$4 per lb, then something from Dr. Tims line, Annamaet or one of the Orijen formulas might work.

Another alternative depending on the size of your dog is pre-made raw. Those can have very minimal ingredients but get costly for a big dog. If you have the time and freezer space, homemade raw is a good way to completely control what is in the meal however it has to be done carefully to ensure that all the right nutrients are included and in their required amounts. A good homemade raw diet can be great for dogs with allergies but an unbalanced raw diet is worse than even a pretty cheap kibble.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya it was at the vet. I almost had a heart attack. I'm going to look for a limited ingredient food for her. She was sooo bad last night that I ended up giving her benadryl. Poor baby girl. She has grain free treats, but I think I need to cut those out for now. She's overweight anyway, so it won't kill her.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
Ya it was at the vet. I almost had a heart attack. I'm going to look for a limited ingredient food for her. She was sooo bad last night that I ended up giving her benadryl. Poor baby girl. She has grain free treats, but I think I need to cut those out for now. She's overweight anyway, so it won't kill her.
Ah, a prescription food. Probably one of the hydrolyzed protein ones. That price makes more sense now.

For food allergies, the way to do a feeding trial is to cut out all treats and any foods that are not the one food that you are testing for meals. Feed for 6 weeks (unless the dog gets worse on that food of course). Then add one, single ingredient treat into the mix and see if the dog reacts.

How much does she need to eat each day?

Zignature has limited ingredient foods at a pretty reasonable price point. For smaller dogs, an option would be the limited ingredient dehydrated foods from The Honest Kitchen.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
If her allergies are food related then buy that stuff. It's medicine as much as nutrition. If her problems ease up then you know it is food related.

If you bounce from kibble to kibble hoping to figure out what the problem is while she's reacting she could well develop allergies to the new proteins as well. Get her stable then start working out what the problem is. The vet isn't trying to finance a trip to Hawaii on your dime, it is the best way to go.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
$64 for 4 lbs is pretty crazy though.

Hill's Prescription Diet z/d Original Skin/Food Sensitivities Dry Dog Food is $38 for 8 lbs on Chewy (vet prescription required)

Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Hydrolyzed Protein Adult HP Dry Dog Food is $37 for 7.7 lbs on Chewy (vet prescription required)

Personally, I'd still pick a regular limited ingredient diet kibble and try it and it alone for 6 weeks unless the dog's reactions were serious. Main reason being, the protein level in the prescription stuff is super duper low. 14% for the Hill's diet, fat is also pretty low. When the AAFCO minimum for adult maintenance is 18% protein.

If the dog's reactions are pretty strong, then I'd go with Royal Canin ordered online because 19% protein and 17% fat is IMO a lot better than the Hill's as is the calories per cup.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts