Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... first off, I'm prolly going to sound like a mess. Just bare with me. lol

Three days ago my Min Pin Lolita got fixed. She was totally fine. Didn't whine at all at the vet's office all day. There's a VERY little bit of dry blood near her incision but I was told that was normal. She's eating fine. Has an almost normal energy level. Hasn't been trying to lick or bite at her belly.

But now she's whining nonstop everytime she's not near me and I can't get her to stop jumping on the furniture. I think I'm just overreacting. I'm so worried about her. Have any of you been thru this? Just overly worried about your FURbaby? I study dogs and I'm a trainer, but when it comes to this, I'm clueless. I don't even know how to clean the area. The vet said just to let her heal and do her own thing. She really looks fine down there but how long is she gna feel miserable?! Ugh!! I want to give her something but I honestly don't even know if she's in pain.

See. I'm freaking out. LOL

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
She needs to be restricted for a week to 10 days, depending on the recovery. She needs to be kept on leash, both outside and inside the house, or crated to control her movement. Make sure you lift her onto the couch, supporting her bottom half, so as not to stretch the incision area. I didn't clean Maddie's incision - just left it alone, like your vet told you to do. She should be back to her normal self in a few days. If she starts messing with the area, she'll need to wear an e-collar. Luckily, Maddie didn't bother hers. Hang in there!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Did your vet give you pain meds? If not, you might ask for a few days worth. If so, and it's Tramadol, that can make them whiny.
Ditto the above poster saying you need to keep her from jumping on furniture. Either crate or tether to you.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Abdominal surgery is painful and healing incisions range between annoyingly itchy and outright pain. I was pretty whiny both times I had abdominal surgery, too. I don't think it's any big deal if the incision looks and smells okay, but if she isn't getting pain relief, you might want to see about getting some.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much guys. I'm taking her in tomoro just to be safe. She's just so special to me so I was a wreck. She's healing really quickly so I'm beyond happy about that!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts