Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

My first post here comes out of desperation: both of my German Shepards have been affected by burrowing foxtail seeds. they both have had surgery today and yesterday to remove the seeds and now are both wearing cones. its sad to see them like this, and it seems like a daunting problem.

On my property there are hills full of the plant, and their fur is so thick that it is very hard to find the foxtails. is there any sort of preventative measures i can take to avoid this problem in the future? it seems like i can only locate them once they have burrowed and swelling has occurred around the site.

Any help/advice is much appreciated.

Thank you,

aarodn

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
My sister's Shepherd cross had the same thing happen and she ended up clipping the hair off his belly. Even though she checked him, by the time she noticed, he had infected bumps on his belly. They are not easy to treat or find with all that hair. I really don't know what the answer is.

For some reason, even though Susie was running through the same areas, she never had a problem and she has a lot of hair but not the same undercoat he has.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts