Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, he seems healthy. He is active, eating, drinking, pooping normal, playful but when he lays down to rest I notice his stomach goes up and down very fast. Even after he has been laying down for awhile. Is this normal?
Thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Is he actually panting- with his tongue out and everything, or is he just breathing really fast? My foster Lab mix puppy used to breathe fast (about 90 breaths per minute) but she was perfectly healthy. Also, is yours a smaller or a bigger breed? Smaller breeds tend to breathe faster than larger ones :)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Yeah, what kind of dog is it? For some dogs, like mine who are flat faced, it's more apt to happen. Small dogs also breathe faster. Excited dogs will also pant and I find a lot of pups can just be excited over really nothing. Hell, my girl gets into a pant if you mention certain words like "do you want to go for a ride?"

Also what's your temperature/weather like? Even though it's not "hot" in the house, it can sometimes be "warm" and my dogs tend to try to keep themselves cool by panting more or laying on their backs with their belly to the ceiling fan, etc.

If it's excessive like to the point where your dog doesn't seem like he has issues breathing, I would have the vet check his nasal passages and trachea for any collapsed areas.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He is a golden doodle, he is suppose to be about 30 lbs when full grown. Right now he is a little over 15 lbs.
Maybe it is breathing fast and not panting, I notice it mainly when he is laying down but I have never noticed any of my other dogs (6) doing this.
His stomach goes up and down very fast. I will time and count then post it.
Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts