Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,514 Posts
That's a clutter hound. I think he's found a new home.

Sorry. That was rude.

Husky, maybe some elkhound (though they are not common.) He's a very handsome guy.

If you're able to, try backing up and getting a full shot of the dog.

·
Registered
511 Posts
My uncle has an Elkhound and it looks a lot like an Elkhound to me. It doesn't have as thick a coat as his dog does but I think there is Elkhound in there for sure.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
The first word that came to mind was Keeshond............not sure of the spelling, sorry. :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
The first word that came to mind was Keeshond............not sure of the spelling, sorry. :)
Maybe. Elkhounds and Keeshonds do look similar. Perhaps there's a cross breed in there that is limiting the coat length.

Uuuum....I think that's a Coyote and you better let him back outside ! : )
That is the healthiest, darkest color, curliest tailed coyote I've ever seen.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Perhaps Akita and something else?
I see some Norwegian Elkhound! My doggie is part Elkhound:) I've also seen a lot of pics of both purebred and elkhound mixes. A lot of them seem to be mixed with GSD or husky so it's quite possible even likely, on there being some GSD and/or husky.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree! Elkhound it is! appears he may be purebread too, beautiful! these are pictures of known purebred Norwegian Elkhounds. The resemblence is too great to ignore. And they aren't as rare as people would believe either.

·
Registered
7,412 Posts
Have you taken him in to the vet to scan for a microchip? He looks like a nice, healthy dog. He probably has owners looking for him.

(And I also thought elkhound when I saw the pics.)

·
Registered
252 Posts
I used to show keeshonden, and I can tell you that dog has very little, if any, keeshond in him. Most back yard bred keeshonden are nearly black and have long, scraggly coats.

If I had to place a bet, I'd say that dog is a purebred Norwegian Elkhound that someone is probably missing quite a bit. Please post signs to get him back home. He looks very well taken care of and his people are probably distraught.

I don't see any husky, akita, or any other northern spitz breed in him at all.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Uuuum....I think that's a Coyote and you better let him back outside ! : )
You obviously have never seen a coyote before ...

Looks like Elkhound to me also, get him checked for microchip / tattoo, somebody is missing him most likely terribly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh, he looks very much like an elkhound. I quite likely the toothy smiley picture! They're not that rare in some parts of the world, especially, on the east coast, in West Virginia and, out west, in Minnesota and such. Dogs that look like him - very elkhound but a little longer and leaner in the back and back hips than the breed , as he is, turn up on WVA, MD and VA rescue sites with some frequency.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts