Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
However, my husband doesnt think I can handle one. Their ability to be over agressive and detroy the house... I am not working so I could be with him all the time.

I told him, I'd train him the proper way. So read read I am... I am reading alot!
Its my birthday and all I want is that little to be big brown lab.

What are your thoughts.?

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Well, I can tell you that Labradors aren't supposed to be aggressive, so I don't know where your husband is getting that from...

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Agreed. All dogs can be aggressive, but you really have to abuse a Lab... and sometimes you have to tell him that you're abusing him... and not playing :)

There're a number of Lab-lovers on the Forum, some have multiples, and some even like furry-piranha puppies. Lab adults are good starter dogs, but pups can be challenging b/c they're intelligent, energetic, heavy-chewers, and comparatively indestructible. But they want to learn the rules.

Also, an out of control, rambunctious Lab can be dangerous :) ... A playful pup can rip stocking and clothes, and leave bleeding hands and arms, with its sharp teeth. A playful 70 lb adolescent can easily clip a 250 man and knock him off his feet. They can counter-surf a full dinner in a few seconds, then get sick in the middle living room. And, a happy Lab (they're always happy!) swings his tail like a baseball bat, destroying breakables at his eye level, and leaving bruises on the legs of innocent bystanders. But, if you're prepared, these things don't happen.

My Lab is 60 lbs, is as docile as a plush toy, and sleeps 20 hours a day. Of course, if took me 11 years to get him that way. And, if your husband saw him after his walk and after his supper, when I'm chasing him around in the backyard, then your husband would fear for your life to get a Lab. Because my old dog growls and snarls like an evil wolf dog as we play tug-of-war with a chewed down hard rubber bone...But his teeth never touch me... even if I put my hand in his mouth... and if he pulls the toy away, he doesn't run (unless I push him away and chase him). Instead, he pokes me until I start pulling the toy to re-start the game.

So, what's your timeline, age-preference, dog experience, and backyard area?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I chose my words wrong, I meant to say.. Very hyper in the house. I have 2 other dogs and theyre really good with other dogs. My son brings his lab over and shes a good dog, we raised her for him. .. He just doesnt want a really high strung dog cause we dont have that big of a house. But a big yard...I seen on Kijiji for a Pure bred brown for 350. 2 set of shots. and photos of mom and dad. they are on sight. they are 12 weeks and there are alot of breeder here in Alberta.
Thanks

·
Registered
400 Posts
Why don't you look into rescuing an adult lab? They are calmer, already trained, and there are soooo many that need homes. :)

Jen

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why don't you look into rescuing an adult lab? They are calmer, already trained, and there are soooo many that need homes. :)

Jen
OMG !!! We did that, thought it would be better and better a homeless dog...
We got her home and She was so hyper for a week.. she wouldnt calm down, couldnt hold her on leash. she didnt eat and it was a night mare !!!!!
Gave her to my parents.
Totally turned me off.. I tried everything !!! Im sure, i didnt try everything? but shes ok now... holy smokes!! what a yellow lab she was....2 years old.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you get the dog enough exercise (don't rely on the dog to exercise itself in the yard) by taking for a good, long daily walk, you'll find your dog to be much calmer in the house.

Please reconsider getting any dog off Kijiji though. If you really want the "perfect lab" you should get on a waiting list with a reputable breeder, or consider rescuing an adult. It sounds like you are about to purchase a BYB or puppy mill pup and you are not only supporting unethical breeding practices, but you're risking receiving a pup who's been poorly bred.

·
Registered
246 Posts
We got her home and She was so hyper for a week.. she wouldnt calm down, couldnt hold her on leash. she didnt eat and it was a night mare !!!!!
Gave her to my parents.
Totally turned me off.. I tried everything !!! Im sure, i didnt try everything? but shes ok now... holy smokes!! what a yellow lab she was....2 years old.
I'm going to take back my previous statement. Don't get a dog. Your husband's right. You can't handle it.

·
Registered
334 Posts
I'm going to take back my previous statement. Don't get a dog. Your husband's right. You can't handle it.
Having read that you sent back a 2 year old because she was too much, I have to agree.

We have a chocolate--but she is just *now* really calming down and she is almost 6. They require a LOT of mental and physical exercise and they stay puppies for a long time.

If the 2 year old was too much--chances are, this one would be too--but for much longer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why would you state this? Please forgive my forwardness... but you dont really know who I am and what I can handle. This dog was way out of control and seeing I didnt want tov just get rid of it to the pound, I gave it to someone that wanted her...

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
The "perfect" dog is one you have met and held and gotten to know, not one in an ad.

Intil you've met them, they are just potential dogs. Don't get wooed by a photo and a description.

And the reason for the turn in responses is because most of us on the forum would consider a week a very short period of time to invest before giving up.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
You previous lab sounds like the way any untrained young lab would behave. Maybe you should look into lower energy companion breeds since you don't want a "hyper" dog and aren't willing to properly exercise and train a dog that can be "hyper". Labs tend to be very high energy and destructive if their energy isn't properly channeled, especially younger dogs. Around 5 or 6 many begin to calm down a bit. I might look into an older lab from a rescue if you get one at all.

I don't blame everyone for getting upset because you're admitting that you gave up your previous lab after 1 week and are now looking for ANOTHER even younger lab, and from a dubious source. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You gave up after a week?! Yeah, don't get a lab. You can't possibly judge behavior after one week. Maybe after 6 weeks, but my rescue is surprising me after 8 weeks.

Besides, all that behavior sounds perfectly normal for a young lab that hasn't been heavily trained. If you think that's bad, you'll last 1 hour with a lab puppy. They're great dogs, but made of energy.

And kajiji? Puppy mills and back yard breeders. You'll be supporting the abuse of animals for money, and who knows what kind of genetic mess you'll get.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok,,, so you all bashed me one by one... heck, I came here only for advice. Thought I'd make a friend or 2.. happy to seek advice. takecare..

·
Registered
334 Posts
Ok,,, so you all bashed me one by one... heck, I came here only for advice. Thought I'd make a friend or 2.. happy to seek advice. takecare..
Bashing? I don't see this as bashing. You asked for opinions--and we honestly gave them. So if you don't like the truth, you wouldn't want to be my friend anyway because I am just an honest person, no matter what the topic is. Hate you feel that way though. I've not been here long but have found this forum to be full of knowledgable, helpful people--but you have to open your mind, sometimes.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
You got a whole bunch of advice...

·
Registered
462 Posts
tara_13, everyone is giving you advice. It just isn't the advice that you wanted. A young lab is like a 2 year old child on speed. They need alot of structure and exercise. The dog that you adopted sounds like a normal young lab who needed just that...and time to settle in. Labs are wonderful dogs but not the dog for everyone. The perfect dog for you is one that fits into your lifestyle. You, your family, and your other dogs will be happier for it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Why would you state this? Please forgive my forwardness... but you dont really know who I am and what I can handle. This dog was way out of control and seeing I didnt want tov just get rid of it to the pound, I gave it to someone that wanted her...
I stated this because:
-You already had a very normal sounding lab and gave up after one week.
-You may have found a good home for the first one, but you will eventually run out of family and friends to dump your failures on.
-You mentioned the size of your house and yard, but didn't mention anything about exercising the dog.
-You say you have 2 other dogs and say you've previously raised your son's lab, but seem to know very little about dogs.
-You're all excited to READ READ READ NOW NOW NOW so you can get THIS PUPPY RIGHT NOW from what is probably a skeezy breeder.
-You haven't admitted that the first lab was your failure and there was nothing wrong with the dog, but you are convinced THIS PUPPY is PERFECT. What you're basing that opinion on, I have no idea, but I assure you this puppy will also be a normal active puppy that needs training, walks, playtime and lots and lots of time and patience, which you've already told us, you do not have.

So, I answered your question:

What are your thoughts.?
My thoughts: Your husband is right, you can't handle it. Don't get a dog any time soon. If you REALLY REALLY REALLY want to get an other dog at some point in the future, for goodness sake, hang around here a while and learn a little more about why you shouldn't be looking on Kijiji to get it. Find out more about various breeds and find one that has exercise requirements that match your commitment level. I'd also suggest that you plan to attend puppy preschool and training classes so you can get some guidance and feedback on how to handle your dog. Take your time though. Let the Kijiji pup go. There are lots of people breeding labs, you will be able to get your perfect chocolate lab from a reputable breeder when you're ready. You're not ready yet though.

·
Registered
11,339 Posts
Gave her to my parents.
So you got a dog that was either cooped up in a shelter kennel for who knows how long or kept by owners who didn't bother with any training, you took that dog to a whole new and very exciting environment, and you expected miracles to happen. When miracles didn't occur within a very short time frame (most people suggest up to 3 months before a shelter rescue feels completely at home and shows their true personality), you gave up.
You most certainly did not "try everything" as that would entail things like TIME, TRAINING, CLASSES, ETC. Did I mention TIME and effort?

Don't get a lab puppy, in fact, even an adult lab is probably too much to handle. And if you aren't willing to give a dog more than a week before you rehome it (fortunately to a home that worked out... would you be so lucky again?) then don't get any additional dogs.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts