Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.I need some assistance.11 months ago I found a puppy-we tried to find the owner-door knocking etc..anyway we ended up keeping her.I took her to the vet when she was ready for de-sexing and they found she was micro-chipped.The vet notified the registery they gave him my number.Now he wants money for our Delilah or our girl back, and is harrassing me on the phone.
We have taken care of her for 11 months-he did not look for her.What are my legal rights because nobody seems to know.
Thank you so much..Judy

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
You tried to find the owner, but you didn't have her scanned for a microchip? I'd say you either pay them or hand over the puppy. They did what they were supposed to to keep their puppy safe. Only an attorney could really tell you, though.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I agree, not checking for a microchip is a pretty poor way of "trying to find the owner" You need to give the dog back or pay him. and how do you know he didn't look for her? he had her microchiped!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
From what I've heard you need to make "every reasonable effort" to find the owner over a certain amount of time (usually a few weeks) before you can claim an animal you found as your own. If you didn't have the dog checked for a microchip you didn't make much effort, and so the dog isn't legally yours.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yeah simply going door to door in your neighborhood isn't enough. Dogs can end up pretty far from home (as in outside your door to door search) easily. Very basic search for the owner involves taking the dog in to check for a microchip which you didn't do. Return or pay for the dog.

·
Registered
801 Posts
What everyone else said. My dog is microchipped, has two tags on her harness and two tags on her collar. I watch my dog but if I'm not home and the maintenance men come to my apartment there's always that chance that they might accidentally let her out. You better believe I'd be looking for her. The only problem is she'd be running around looking for me too so there's no telling how far away she'd end up. If someone then decided to keep my dog and the vet they took her to found the chip and called me I'd definitely drive 100 miles to get my furkid. If the people that took or found her tried to keep her I'd be taking the bastards to court and harassing them nonstop too. And there's no amount of money I'd accept. I'd want my best friend back. When you take someones dog you're taking part of their FAMILY! Offer them money or give the dog back. It won't be your dog until you do one or the other.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Oh I also find it questionable that you had this puppy for 11 months and never took it to a vet in that time for a check up and vaccinations. But that's a whole other issue.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Scanning for a chip is easy, painless and only takes a minute...if the chip moved. I have never heard of a vet, shelter, rescue or animal control officer charging to scan for a chip...its really THAT quick. Having a stray scanned for a chip is so simple. The fact it took 11 months tells me you've NOT done even the absolute minimum to get this dog reunited with her owner. It also implies that either you have never had her to the vet for vaccinations or you were not honest in how you acquired this dog.

I'd imagine its not routine to scan a dog unless the person bringing it in indicates the dog may have been a stray. Granted Ive used the same clinic since Bus was a puppy and they're the ones that chipped him, his chip was in place 2 years before it was scanned again. And then it was at my request during his last well visit...I wanted the peace of mind in knowing his chip was in place and functioning properly.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Yeah, I say you need to either pay up or give up.
Let's reverse the situation; let's say it was your dog that had gotten lost and you were trying to find him (you don't know whether the guy was looking for his dog or not).
Somebody finds him, keeps him, and 11 months later you finally find out who has him so you ask for him back. Now, whoever has him, won't give him back.

How would you feel about that?

I know you've had her for a long time but she's not rightfully yours, especially since (I feel) you didn't try hard enough to find her owner.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Pay up or give her back.

Door knocking is nice and what not but this isn't old-times and microchipping is a big business for a reason.
Maybe you didn't know about the whole microchipping thing? I don't know. But, regardless, you need to pay the man or give the pup back.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Did you discover that he had a chip (by going to the vet) close to the time that you found the pup, or did you only do that recently? That could make a difference... because if the person was told of his dog's whereabouts close to the time that you found the pup it'd be strange that he's looking for her now... but if you only checked lately it's a little irresponsible for you to take in a puppy knowing you'd get attached and she'd get attached but keep her anyway and pretend everything is okay.

So, I guess it sort of depends. Though if he just wants money I find that a bit shocking. I mean, if I lost my dog I'd personally come fetch him if someone found him, and if they had not checked for a chip or gone to the vet earlier I'd probably kick their arses, too! ;)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I'd imagine its not routine to scan a dog unless the person bringing it in indicates the dog may have been a stray. Granted Ive used the same clinic since Bus was a puppy and they're the ones that chipped him, his chip was in place 2 years before it was scanned again. And then it was at my request during his last well visit...I wanted the peace of mind in knowing his chip was in place and functioning properly.
I don't know if it's routine, but when you bring a new dog in to my vet, the first thing he does is scan it for a microchip. This is not negotiable. It doesn't matter where you said you got the dog from, what proof you have of it, what age the dog is, the first appointment starts with a scan. He's had too many people come in with "unwanted strays" he later saw in a lost dog ad, and then he called the contact information from the oh-so-generous "rescuer" and discovered it was false.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I don't know if it's routine, but when you bring a new dog in to my vet, the first thing he does is scan it for a microchip. This is not negotiable. It doesn't matter where you said you got the dog from, what proof you have of it, what age the dog is, the first appointment starts with a scan. He's had too many people come in with "unwanted strays" he later saw in a lost dog ad, and then he called the contact information from the oh-so-generous "rescuer" and discovered it was false.
Sounds like a good practice to me. Its far too easy for someone to simply say "My friends brothers girlfriends sisters ex boyfriend gave him to me". Too many dishonest people in the world...

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
If my vet scanned for Jubel's chip when I brought him in for his new dog check up they didn't tell me (possible). But I also came in with a folder from the rescue with all the medical info they had on him and his microchip info. So maybe they did maybe they didn't, wouldn't bother me a bit if they did though. Nice piece of mind knowing they're making it harder for people to steal dogs. Which really failing to properly look for an owner comes down to, stolen dog.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
All of Busters vet care has taken place in the exam room, usually with me helping to hold him, so I know he's only been scanned twice...once when I had him chipped and once at my request. I wouldnt have had an issue with them scanning Buster at that first check up. Make it routine, make it that much more difficult for people to steal dogs (I agree, not having a dog scanned isnt looking nearly hard enough for the owner which equals theft).

·
Registered
3,946 Posts
Agree with dagwall - it wouldn't bother me if all vets did this to all new dogs coming in. I wouldn't even mind if they re-scanned every year just to make sure the chip is still there.

This is a bit of a tangent, but I like to point this out when I see threads about microchips: It is possible for a microchip to fall out. I had the opposite problem that the OP had. Shelter said dog was microchipped and provided the info, tag, etc., but vet couldn't find the chip anywhere (they scanned all over her for several minutes, and the brand was the same as the scanner). I called the shelter and put the vet on the phone, and the shelter ended up sending me a new chip for free, which was implanted by a friend.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Pay or give her back, please. Obviously he wasn't within your range of door knocking. Maybe he did get out and search for her, maybe he called shelters and vet clinics to report her missing and maybe he also knocked on doors. But his dog was being cared for by someone else, and wasn't reported to shelters and clinics as found. After almost a year, it's easy to feel discouraged. Then suddenly he gets a call saying they've found his dog.
I would be physically ill if someone were to find one of my dogs then not give them back. I think if it were me, I would be at their door step, ready to physically remove my dog.
Maybe a chip didn't cross your mind, it's possible. But unless you had the dog scanned, reported her as found, did more than just knocking on doors, you didn't make a full fledged effort at finding the owner. In good conscience, you should either give her back, or purchase her so she is legally yours.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
cough up the cash or give the dog back. every time i find a dog, if it doesnt have tags the FIRST thing i do is take it to the vet and have it scanned.

·
Registered
740 Posts
You should give the dog back....it's the right thing to do. And scanning the microchip is the first thing you should've done when you found it (+ take it to the vet, which they would've done there for you anyway).

1 - 20 of 56 Posts