Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Rotties are wonderful dogs! They are a working breed but while they enjoy having a job to do, they also like to be pretty lazy inside and will likely end up trying to be a 100 lb lap dog. They can be stubborn, but at the same time really responsive to obedience training. Get your undercoat brush ready because they have really thick coats that require some regular grooming - you'll be pulling out balls of fur. They love their people and tend to be very cuddly though a tad bit aloof with strangers initially. Rotts are like pits in that they are often really misunderstood, but are actually great family dogs - very loyal and goofy. Can you tell I love Rottweilers? :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Rotties are very misunderstood dogs. They look imposing, even dangerous, and while they should be aloof with strangers, they are big balls of mush with their families.

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Lucky you! At 2 years old a male rott may still act very puppy-like. I would be prepared for goofiness and lots of energy. I would start right off the bat with Nothing In Life is Free games and Its Yer Choice. Definitely approach training with positive techniques and get the dog to think working with you is the best idea ever. You will not safely get a rottie to do what he doesn't want to do otherwise.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts