Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know, we found a momma and litter of puppies. Everyone survived the night (oh course :p) and are a lot more active now that they have food and water in their bellies. Gwen seems to be the most out going but they all love coming up and pouncing on you when you sit on the floor with them. At the moment they are NOT going to a rescue and are our in house fosters. We're going to get in contact with a number of 'big wig' rescues to see if they will be willing to treat the medically for free if we foster them and feed them, it would REALLY help. If not I'll be looking into low cost spaying options for everyone. If worst comes to worst we'll make that our adoption 'fee', that we'll meet up at any vet clinic and sign the pup over to get spayed on the adopters dime. That way we know they're both serious and the pups are getting spayed.

BTW: This is THE official thread, all updates will go here.
Annabelle AKA:Momma

Margo

Piper

Calliope

Margo, Piper, Gwen

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The puppies are all happily eating wet food mixed with dry as well as plain dry and don't appear to be nursing from Anna at all. The only thing I need a bit of advice is on resource gaurding in puppies. Margo is -extrememly- snappy and 'vicious' when it comes to eating the wet food. It just seems like an unusual amount of aggression in a puppy so little. I made a loud high pitch wine and removed her from the others so that they could eat in piece and gave Margo her own. What should I do next time this happens? With Cain and Taz, when they had issues, I would remove the food if one was gaurding it and they wouldn't get it back until they settled down agian. That method has worked perfectly for -them- and they now have close to 0 issues. But what should I do with a puppy?

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Maybe try removing the puppy? It'll teach her that when she's 'vicious' she doesn't get to eat.

Also, I like pipers feet! Now I'll have to convince him of TWO puppies!!! D:

You are truly a wonderful soul, trillian. :)

Eta: they're all so cute!!!! I wonder if I could get three....

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Resource guarding aside, how are they adjusting to a warm home? Have their personalities begun to emerge?

I just love Piper's "boots" - it seems to go well with her tuxedo.

·
Registered
13,074 Posts
You are a good soul!............the pups are cute as anything and Momma is beautiful in my opinion! :) Good luck with them all.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Resource guarding aside, how are they adjusting to a warm home? Have their personalities begun to emerge?

I just love Piper's "boots" - it seems to go well with her tuxedo.
They're adjusting rather well from what I can tell. They diffinantly aren't just scared stiff little pups anymore. Then only problem we have been having is that they weren't born with any human rules so they don't really understand us implying them now but are getting the hint. They haven't made a single mess in the house or their pen at nights so seem like they'll be easy to potty train which we are working on now. They do NOT like the leashes but we're working on that as well. It seems like momma hasn't ever been on a leash either but she's quickly getting it. So far Gwen seems to be the most even tempered, confident and the 'perfect' puppy. Piper was extremely shy but seems to be getting into her own, she however is still shy around fast movements and will dart off. Margo is the bossy, trouble maker. And Calliope is pretty evenly tempered but shyer as well. Momma is just a sweet love bug who can't get enough attention...she's like having a second Cain ><

As of right now :D The puppies are trotting into the house and out of the house to go potty on their own! WOOT!

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well we have some good news! We contact a local big wig rescue and we've gotten them into the foster program! It pretty much means that we'll be housing them, but they'll pay for medical expenses! WOOT! We're taking them in tomorrow for their first medical evals! I'll have to call work in the morning to see if I can go in later but I'm excited this makes things SO much easier. My roomy was talking on the phone with them and I think they heard me saying "And if they think they can take MY puppies they are sadly mistaken! I'll go midevil on their asses." Later on I recieved an email discussing the puppies, momma and their medical care. With a foot note that stated. "And we won't take your puppies". Lol...

Side note!: Momma is now learning how to sit and lie down. She's doing very well and both but the puppies are still to nervous to focus on training or treats.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Glad to hear she's doing so well! And even more glad to hear that you found a place willing to put them into their program! Good news all around! :D I'm sure within a few days those puppies will be all over the place :).

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The puppies are all over the place D: lol

We have good new and bad news.

Annabelle has gotten into the foster program, the puppies have not.

We had annabelle tested for heartworms on our own dime, since she wouldn't be able to get into the program or the rescue with any major medical problems and they don't do medical exams until they are accepted >< go figure. But she is now officially being payed for by the rescue but is staying here with us.

The puppies on the other hand, either have to stay with us or get put into the rescue with OUT a foster home seeing as they can't "meet the demand for puppies". This would leave them with all of their medical needs taken care off but we wouldn't ever seem them agian or have ANY say on who gets them. And honestly, at this point most shelters just hand over dogs to who ever wants them so they can make space. And there IS distemper and kennel cough running rampant at this rescues sometimes. A LOT of people are returning dogs and going to the vet with these issues because most places don't QT properly. So the puppies are staying with us and we're fronting the bill. But hey, things could be worse.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Trillian. Youre an awesome heart. Not a lot of people will think of those things and say getting them to a rescue is enough good. That's pretty janky of them though to try to get you to give up the puppies since they're a hot ticket. I don't really trust that. I'm sure by now you're fully invested in them and I couldn't imagine putting the time in and never knowing what ever did happen to them.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Trillian. Youre an awesome heart. Not a lot of people will think of those things and say getting them to a rescue is enough good. That's pretty janky of them though to try to get you to give up the puppies since they're a hot ticket. I don't really trust that. I'm sure by now you're fully invested in them and I couldn't imagine putting the time in and never knowing what ever did happen to them.
More people need to think of these things IMO. It IS puppy season, puppies are popular and always have been around now. But there are also a LOT of people who give up their adolecent dog for one reason or another. The most common is "We didn't realise how big he would get." and "We just had a baby so our 5 month old puppy has to go!"

I'm just not comfortable with their terms and have told them so. In the end they seemed extrememly confused as to why I wouldn't give up the puppies even though I tried to explain it in the most basic of terms.

And yes we are completely invested, both in money and in heart. We fight to hard to make their lives better just to have them disappear and possibly end up back where they started.

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
Triiiiiiiilllllllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!!!!!!!!!!

You need to give yourself and the puppies and the mom a big hug from me!!!!!

I'm glad you're keeping them :)

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll cuddle 'em just for you! I'm actually giving the pups, Jetta and the boys a bath. So far Gwen is the only bathed pup and she did VERY well. Didn't even whimper but I don't think she liked it too much :p

1 - 20 of 20 Posts