Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Foster marking in the house

814 views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  trainingjunkie 
If they do mark while wearing it, they feel the wetness. It actually stopped the marking for mine. My male came in as a degenerate marker. In fact, while trying to walk him into my front door and down my split-entry steps for the first time ever, he marked 3 times! It was pretty severe.

I used a bellyband, supervision, and a crate and he never marked again after that first day. For sneaky marking fosters, the bellyband has been a godsend.

I DO crate train for house breaking and foster dogs are not out of my sight until they are trustworthy. By "marking" isn't a house-training issue in the purest sense. The bellyband helps a lot with that.

I think that just about any dog would prefer the crate/rotate life in a home with people and fun to living in a noisy, hard concrete, bleach-smelling, stress filled shelter run. I appreciate shelters, but they are no place for a dog.

Good luck with the marking! Good luck to your foster. I hope he finds a great home soon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.