Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Are you sure she is calm when you are gone? It seems weird that she would be calm when you're gone and freak out when you're home. Pete was exactly like that (still kindof is) when we first brought him home. We were told by the rescue that he was crate trained, would whine for about a minute in his crate and then settle down to sleep, we were also told he was housetrained and 14 months old, yeah..... right. The first night we brought him home and settled him down in the crate thinking it would be a nice, familiar place for him, he then SCREAMED for 3.5 hours straight. I finally caved and sat downstairs where he could see me and calm down before letting him out. For the next few weeks I couldnt leave the house or even close the door to pee without him LOSING IT. Its why I joined the forum.

Anyways, I found two big things helped, I had to really slowly get him used to not being so close. At first I would just sit and work while he was in his crate in full view. Then I started doing chores in the kitchen so he could see me most of the time but not always, then I started leaving the room for 5 seconds, 10, 15, 1 min. Eventually I started leaving the house. This is when we found he did WAY better with self-restraint than being in the crate. The combination of the barrier and the separation were pushing him over the edge. So we taught down/stay and practiced constantly all over the place. We also taught 'go to your spot' and had him stay there while I moved around and eventually left the house. He's still not all the way there but at least now I can leave him for a few hours without feeling like a monster.

Maybe the problem is that she can hear you but not see you at all, would she be better with a gate over the door instead of it closed completely for a while? It was lucky for Pete that I'm home most of the day so I could work with him on this stuff slowly, a lot of people dont have that option. Maybe set up a camera somewhere safe so you can hear/see what goes on while you're away... I'm not an expert but all that is what we're doing with some success. I feel your pain!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts