Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Frankie has been here about 2 weeks. She is doing awesome and has some interest in her plus an event next week that might get some more exposure to potential adopters.

She is loose (uncrated) in my "dog room" during my work day. An old couch, a table, a closed wire crate and her water bowl make up the furnishings. She seem to be fine when I am gone. She doesn't chew the walls or the couch unlike previous fosters. My neighbors haven't said she's been barking. She isn't too worked up when I get home- no extra slobber, she's jumpy and ready to go outside but not overly so.

But.... when I am home and I put her in her room, which I am having to do right now since Chester is still in the cone for his eye injury I have to basically "crate" and rotate, she flips out. Hyper fast panting, whimpering, slamming into the door and scratching at the door, she won't touch food or chew toys while I am not in the room, and when I go to take her out, she's more or less in panic mode. Calms down fairly quickly once she's around me.

Normally with a barking or whining dog I would wait till they calm and then treat and praise. Has worked well in the past, but she doesn't really ever calm until she sees me so even that bit of calm isn't really her getting calm on her own but rather an effect of my presence.

What's y'alls thoughts? Should I just let her be and give her time? She's getting plenty of exercise and attention, she just seems to have abandonment issues. Any training tips to help calm her?

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
What would happen if you took her for a 15 - 30 min. walk (or 15 min. of training) and then gave her a Kong in the crate.

(I'm assuming this should be: "but she doesn't really ever 'get worked up' until she sees me so even")

·
Registered
11,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What would happen if you took her for a 15 - 30 min. walk (or 15 min. of training) and then gave her a Kong in the crate.

(I'm assuming this should be: "but she doesn't really ever 'get worked up' until she sees me so even")
Doesn't matter how tired she is, she freaks when I leave. She won't take treats or eat when I leave- she's left her food sitting an entire day.

And no, I did mean " she doesn't really ever calm until she sees me" - I am there, she takes about 30 seconds to calm down. I leave, she takes about 30 seconds to start the drooly panting.

She has made some progress though in that first thing in the morning, she will eat breakfast in the bedroom without me being there. Doesn't work for dinner yet.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Are you sure she is calm when you are gone? It seems weird that she would be calm when you're gone and freak out when you're home. Pete was exactly like that (still kindof is) when we first brought him home. We were told by the rescue that he was crate trained, would whine for about a minute in his crate and then settle down to sleep, we were also told he was housetrained and 14 months old, yeah..... right. The first night we brought him home and settled him down in the crate thinking it would be a nice, familiar place for him, he then SCREAMED for 3.5 hours straight. I finally caved and sat downstairs where he could see me and calm down before letting him out. For the next few weeks I couldnt leave the house or even close the door to pee without him LOSING IT. Its why I joined the forum.

Anyways, I found two big things helped, I had to really slowly get him used to not being so close. At first I would just sit and work while he was in his crate in full view. Then I started doing chores in the kitchen so he could see me most of the time but not always, then I started leaving the room for 5 seconds, 10, 15, 1 min. Eventually I started leaving the house. This is when we found he did WAY better with self-restraint than being in the crate. The combination of the barrier and the separation were pushing him over the edge. So we taught down/stay and practiced constantly all over the place. We also taught 'go to your spot' and had him stay there while I moved around and eventually left the house. He's still not all the way there but at least now I can leave him for a few hours without feeling like a monster.

Maybe the problem is that she can hear you but not see you at all, would she be better with a gate over the door instead of it closed completely for a while? It was lucky for Pete that I'm home most of the day so I could work with him on this stuff slowly, a lot of people dont have that option. Maybe set up a camera somewhere safe so you can hear/see what goes on while you're away... I'm not an expert but all that is what we're doing with some success. I feel your pain!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts