Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about fostering for a local rescue. I have a 16 month old boxer mix now who loves other dogs but has never lived with one. I think fostering would be a good way to continue to socialize my dog. I'm a full time law student so my dog is often home alone for 2-4 hours at a time and I think having a second dog in the house would be nice for her as she wont be alone. Is fostering a bad idea? Will my dog get "attached" to the other dog and become destructive once the foster is adopted? What repercussions, if any, will I need to be aware of before agreeing to foster a dog?

If any of you have any experience with this and can give me general insights and experiences, I'd really appreciate it!

·
Registered
11,239 Posts
I fostered bully breeds for a few years and then adopted my "foster fail" Eva.

I would not ever leave a foster of any breed or size alone with my dog when I was completely out of the house...as in, going to the yard or garage etc is fine if the dogs are fine together but i wouldn't assume the risk of going off to class or work with them together. So if you are looking for a companion for your dog while you are not home, I would not suggest a foster.

A foster can be a fun playmate though and a good companion for walks and such. Some resident dogs will become more attached to fosters than other resident dogs might but if the foster isn't there for a very long time, then I would expect minimal acting out. My male dog Chester chewed up my shoelaces when a long term foster got adopted (2x) but otherwise wasn't upset or disturbed.

Get all the details of a foster agreement in writing. Liability and such, requests for home visits (visiting the potential adopters home) etc

I very much enjoyed fostering and i learned useful dog training skills while my dog had fun running and playing with new buddies, you just have to be upfront about what you are expected to do and what the rescue or shelter is expected to do and what happens if the foster dog isn't finding a home after some time and similar issues

1 - 2 of 2 Posts